1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying German label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by maltby, Mar 19, 2016.

1. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

Hi all! attached are some pics of a dress I found recently. I can't seem to make out the letters on the tag though I think it's German? The dress has short cap sleeves, buttons up the front (those are the only fasteners) one side pocket and velvet at the cuffs and neckline. It is about knee length. Curious for any thoughts on age or if anyone can read/has seen this label

thanks for looking!

A IMG_5922.jpg IMG_5920.jpg IMG_5921.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It reads dirndlstube. The dress does not look like a dirndl dress from the photos I can see, I wonder if may have been an overdress.
    The designer is Hildegard Nitsche.

If you put this info into a web search you will find a number of results.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found Hildegard in the 1961 Munich (Germany) phone directory:

HildegardNitschke1961Munich.jpg

EDITED TO ADD: I found a Hildegard Nitschke in the 1960 through 1978 (I think) German phone books, but other than the entry above and a 1963 classified ad I don't know if she was working at that business through those years.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm only just back from holidays. It would help if you could show a photo of the dress in full. It may not look like a classic dirndl dress at first glance, but I think it is a kind of dirndl dress after all, going by what I see on the photos. There are quite a bit of variations in them too. I couldn't find out much else about the label either - looks like this was a fashion/dirndl boutique in Bavaria.