1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying labels!!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lforde04, Sep 15, 2014.

1. lforde04

lforde04 Registered Guest

This weekend I purchased a 100% wool coat from a charity shop in Chelmsford. It has a nice cut to me, and my girlfriend tells me it is a "Guards style" overcoat. Thus far, I have been unable to identify the company responsible for making it- the label sewn on top of the breast pocket states "Guards (r) Made in England". Other than that there is no information. I was wondering if any people on this forum could enlighten me!

Best,

L.

(A picture of the label is attached)

[​IMG]

2. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Sometimes there really just isn't a lot of information about every label. However, if you can show the coat itself, we could probably provide you with more input about the specific era, style, etc.

The label does look more recent but I would have to see the coat to know for sure.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Yes, please show us the coat.

Because of that (R) mark, I did a UK trademark search. It appears that Crombie registered the name Guards for use in "Men's trousers, men's sports jackets, men's suits and men's overcoats", in 1951, so it's likely that this is a Crombie coat. Whenver you see that (r), which means registered trademark, a UK trademark search is the first research you should do, from this page: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/tmtext.htm

Here is the trademark that seems to be relevant to your coat: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00000702677

4. lforde04

lforde04 Registered Guest

I did think it could be a Crombie, simply by the cut and design of it. I do own another camel coloured one (which, incidentally I found in a charity shop again!) and noted definite similarities.

I'm attaching a few pictures. I do apologise for their poor quality (and for the appalling decorative order of my room!) but hopefully they are somewhat enlightening.

Thanks for all your help,

Best,

L

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]