1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identifying Mink (?) stole manufacturer and era

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by gardinerth, Nov 15, 2013.

1. gardinerth

gardinerth Registered Guest

Hi, I am new here and new to vintage clothing. I have 2 identical stoles with no label and would like some help identifying the fur and possibly the manufacturer by the embroidery and buttons.

IMAG0485.jpg IMAG0481.jpg IMAG0482-1.jpg IMAG0484.jpg IMAG0486.jpg IMAG0488.jpg

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

3. tickeryboo

tickeryboo Alumni

that is so pretty, i'm thinking thats 60s but never seen the label before, and looks like a blonde mink to me but not an expert! just think its gorgeous

lorraine

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hello, Your stoles are beautiful and would be perfect for a variety of special occasions. The fur is indeed Mink. Furriers use all sorts of buttons and linings to compliment their fur garments. Sometimes designers have furriers add their signature buttons and/or signature linings. If your button was from a certain designer I would expect it to have some sort of marking, initials, or the designer's name somewhere on it. As for the lining, there are designers who have signature crown designs on their linings but I do not recognize the crowns on yours. Here is a photo of a Royal Mink Designs by Goussan Goutlai label and partial lining inside a fur I recently acquired but it has some differently designed crowns on it so yours would not be from the same designer.

crownlining.png

5. gardinerth

Thanks for the help. Hopefully someone will recognize the button or crowns. They are beautiful stoles. I can't imagine these stoles were made by anyone but a designer, they're very well made, look great and have been taken care of, though they are a little musty smelling. The label is a fur authority label. It's too bad there's no reference to look up the manufacturer. Does anyone know if furs from stores like Macy's labeled furs made for them.

I also received 6 vintage coats in need of repairs, and maybe identity.

6. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

The Fur Label Authority Consumer Protection label is a label that became required to be placed inside garments in 1956 guaranteeing skilled craftsmanship under fair labor standards. It has nothing to do with the furrier or the designer. Macy's did label furs that were made by the furriers in their store. Their labels would sometimes just say Macy's or if the furrier had a name the label might say the furrier's fur salon name at Macy's.

This is just a guess but being you have two of the same stole these may have been custom made by a furrier for some brides maids or some other special event where more than one of the same was needed. Many times furrier labels are not present in furs that were custom furrier made for clients.

7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

What Caryn said! especially since these white fur stoles were so desirable for formal functions (and still are!) I had one last year that was made by a furrier for his daughter's sweet 16 party...

I have found that furrier-made furs tend to have fancier linings than the dept store ones--ie jacquarded or embroidered with designs like yours, vs plain satin.

8. gardinerth

Makes sense to me. I believe the original owner had a twin sister. Thanks. What surprises me is that for 50 years old, it's in great condition, very supple, not dried out at all. I just had to restitch the lining as the old basting came out.

9. Delaney52

Delaney52 Registered Guest

This is stunning! I would agrre with the others and say that the stole is mink and is from the 50s or early 60s.

EDITED BY ADMINISTRATION

10. gardinerth

11. I agree with an early '60s dating but recommend caution on the buttons as I suspect they have been added. The buttons look more modern, eg, early '80s although it will help if you have better photos of them. The button holes are badly made, and look like they were cut and stitched into the original cape - they have not been made professionally. If you were planning on keeping and wearing this stole I would recommend getting them redone so that they're stronger and will not come apart when the button is repeatedly used.