1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identifying Porcelain? Button

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by jqalverson, Mar 10, 2019.

1. jqalverson

jqalverson Registered Guest

Hi everyone! I found this button in the dirt while looking around our yard. I would love to know if there is anyway to determine what era it is from. It seems to be porcelain, but I am no expert. I've been trying to research the history of our land but haven't had much luck on anything really old. Does anyone know anything about buttons like this? 20190310_145315.jpg 20190310_145352.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a little charming thing! What size is your button? I wonder if it once was painted and the paint has worn off over time.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I wonder if it's a natural substance like shell, or bone, or ivory? Or even an early plastic. Porcelain is brittle and would break and chip, whereas this looks like it's worn down. It was perhaps made by carving, as a shell button would be.

4. jqalverson

Thanks for the responses! I'm not 100% sure on the material but it is shiny in places like it was glazed or polished and other places have worn down and are not glossy. The button measures roughly 1/4" x 1/4" x 3/8"(deep). Could it be made of some sort of stone or marble?

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Ive never heard of stone buttons but I suppose it's possible. Stone would be relatively cold to the touch.

6. jqalverson

I took some more pictures hoping to capture more detail. Some with and without flash. I haven't cleaned it VERY well so you can see mud in the fasten hole.

Attached Files: