1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying Salvatore Ferragamo shoes: What is this shape / style of heel called?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by palettepaintspot, Aug 30, 2020.

1. palettepaintspot

palettepaintspot Registered Guest

Hello,
    I've been wondering what this style / shape of heel is called? I just love the silhouette. I bought this pair from the online 2nd-hand marketplace ThredUp about a year ago, but sadly had to return them, because they were perhaps too small, and definitely too narrow. I usually wear a 7.5M. These were 8B. Anyway, I've been searching in vain for a pair of the same style, but in an 8C or 8D, or 8.5 B, C or D. Trouble is, I don't know what to search for. "Salvatore Ferragamo almond toe black leather heels OR pumps" returns too many results!
    Would they be considered "Cuban heels" (I know those are usually lower, but I read they can be up to 3", which these were.), "Court shoes", or "Tapered heel"? Any info as far as era, key words for this style, etc. would be very much appreciated.
    The first photo attached is a bit blurry--I just meant to snap a quick photo of my return. I didn't know I might want to use it someday to help identify them. :) Anyway, it gives you an idea of the almond toe shape. The second and third photos are of straight-on and profile, as provided with the listing.
    The fourth photo is of a different pair that I found for sale. (Alas they are too narrow.) I believe it's the same style, and the letters and numbers printed on the inside are visible, which I thought might be helpful with identifying them. Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise!

--Jenny
    fullsizeoutput_d6e1.jpeg
    retina.jpg retina.jpg m_5b22de5cdf0307f8381f19aa.jpeg

2. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I believe this is referred to as a "boulevard" heel. Similar to a cuban.

20200830_195354.jpg

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Hmm. The boulevard silhouette as shown has a bit of a curve from the upper back to the bottom. The heel on Jenny's shoes look straighter.

The shoes look 80s to me, based on that heel shape. It's not quite a cone heel, but reminds me of those.

4. palettepaintspot

Thank you, Maggie and Janice, for weighing in!
    Even if it’s not a boulevard heel, I’m glad Janice enlightened me—I’d never heard of such a distinction. The resource you cited seems interesting.
    And I agree Maggie, the heel shape is almost convex the whole way down, there’s no curving inward, which is what makes it so unique!
    If I’d have had to guess, I would’ve guessed they were 1980’s. I’m encouraged my stabs in the dark aren’t too far off!

5. palettepaintspot

Janice, from what book is that illustration of the different heel types? :)