1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying seal skin/fur

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Rythmer, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Rythmer

Rythmer Registered Guest

Hello all. I'm having a hard time confirming if the clothing set a family member left for me is legitimate seal skin/fur. It appears to be attached or sewn onto unmarked clothing. Any help would be appreciated. Even if it's pointing me to a different site. I just snapped a few pictures. I can take more if needed.

20220728_170952.jpg 20220728_170909.jpg 20220728_170826.jpg 20220728_170918.jpg 20220728_171008.jpg 20220728_170833.jpg

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Yup - sure looks like seal!

Rythmer likes this.
  3. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Yes. The main parts of the jacket and boots looks like seal, but with another, fluffier fur as trim.

I love the pictorial trim! Is that made of fur, too? If so, maybe the design was dyed onto it?

4. Rythmer

Rythmer Registered Guest

It's very difficult for me to tell if it's the trim is the same fur or if it's something else. It feels like the same coarseness of material as the main body of the clothing but just shorter length, if that makes sense. It's hard for me to tell if it's the same material.
    Also, thank you all so much for the responses. I apologize for the late reply.
    It was in a small house for years with someone who smoked cigarettes heavily.
    I don't know as if a standard dry cleaner would know how to clean something like this.
    Would any of you have suggestions on how to deodorize and/or have it cleaned?

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I'm no help with identification, but wanted to say that I once had some really stinky furs that I hung on a covered porch for several weeks and the odor disappeared.
    Marian

Rythmer likes this.
  6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Spotted seal is the body of the parka and boots, commercial leather used for the palms of the mitts, boot tops and parka cuffs etc. The inlaid fur bands are really nice.This is from an Alaskan Inupiat (Eskimo) craftsperson, probably made for a cooperative shop, probably 1970s or early 1980s. The long haired fur trim looks like Arctic fox - their summer coat, which is brown/gray/black and typically mottled with white.

7. Rythmer

Rythmer Registered Guest

Thank you so much for the reply. It was my late father's who left it for me. A long time ago I remember him saying that a Native Alaskan friend of his gave it to him. I have no idea what I'd do with it here in the South, but I was hoping to at least get an idea of its material so I could look for some way to clean/deodorize it safely.
    Again, thank you so much for the response!