1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying sweater

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by gmt1026, Nov 6, 2017.

1. gmt1026

gmt1026 Registered Guest

Any insight is appreciated! It’s 100% wool with felted flowers. Buttons are solid and heavy. I believe it’s a German brand. The label does not list a brand- possibly worn off. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Your pretty item looks similar to a Geiger of Austria boiled wool jacket but Geiger items generally have a rectangular fabric tag at the neckline. Other companies made these types of garments, too, so it may not be possible to determine the maker. Hopefully, others here might have more info for you!
    VFG label resource for Gieger.

3. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

I am sorry I cannot be of any help, but I admire it -- so pretty! It reminds me of "The Sound of Music" movie.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that looks like a traditional-style jacket, to be worn with a dirndl or that type of clothing in Austria. Tere would be more than one company producing this type of garment. The "Reine Schurwolle" label is as far as I know just the German-language version of the Woolmark sign we all know which was introduced in 1964. The multi-language label indicates the jacket was made for possible export - or the tourist trade. I would guess that that is somewhat newer than the 60s, but probably more than 20 years old. In a modern garment I would expect more detailed/different labels. Does the size label say anything else besides the ES 36?

5. gmt1026

gmt1026 Registered Guest

Thank you all so much for the information! The size tag also reads AS Small.
    You all are awesome!!!

6. gmt1026

gmt1026 Registered Guest

My thoughts exactly!!

7. gmt1026

gmt1026 Registered Guest

Thanks so much for the info! The size also reads AS small (assuming its “American size)?

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

That could be - it's a size 36, which at a time was the smallest women's size in our sizing. Now it's the 34 - or sometimes even 32...

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

the sleeve shape and piped edges plus colour make me think this is early 1980s. Is there anything on the back of that tag?
    The leather coat hook is an after-market purchase.

10. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I am leaning with Melanie on early 1980s.

11. gmt1026

gmt1026 Registered Guest

This is the back of the wool material tag. Nothing on the back of the size tag. Thank you so much for your input!

Attached Files: