1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identifying This Heavily Embellished Ethnic Indian Top Needed

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by YsabelVintageOnline, Sep 26, 2017.

1. YsabelVintageOnline

YsabelVintageOnline Registered Guest

[​IMG] Hi,
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I picked this item up in a Goodwill foray about a year ago & thought I would list it for next to nothing as a curiosity/Halloween item, but as I took a closer look at it realized that it may be a formal (wedding) or other garment and that the fabric seems to be raw silk (slubs visible). There is no label except a small red & white cloth which appears to be folded over & sewn into the collar seam at the back (no name or other ID).

In my research, I've figured out that it seems to be an ethnic Indian maybe Pakistani top called a karti or kurti and the dramatic heavy embellishment is a form of zardozi or zardosi. Appears to be handmade. it

Does anyone know more about it, whether it's a traditional formal wear item, and how old it really is? How do I set a reasonable price?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. YsabelVintageOnline

UM, how do I get the photos to display? I inserted links from MS Photo Gallery--that would be the only photos I have!
    ible). There is no label except a small red & white cloth which appears to be folded over & sewn into the collar seam at the back (no name or other ID).

In my research, I've figured out that it seems to be an ethnic Indian maybe Pakistani top called a karti or kurti and the dramatic heavy embellishment is a form of zardozi or zardosi. Appears to be handmade. it

[​IMG]

4. YsabelVintageOnline

Can't get the photo to post, tried twice from different browsers. Worth mentioning, I think, that I don't experience this problem with Etsy, my own site, Facebook, Pinterest, or Polyvore. There must be something particular to the VFG site that I'm missing? Can anyone clue me in?

Thanks.

5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

In the event we're not around when you pop back in here's the how to post a photo thread.

https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/faq-how-to-post-a-photo.52756/

I think I might know what's going on but I'm not positive because I'm on a Mac.
    I don't think our software converts ms paint(sorry, MS photo gallery) links to images.

You would have to use the upload option as shown in the how to thread.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  6. YsabelVintageOnline

Thanks! I was going about it the wrong way. Let's see if this works.

BTW, I was not asking for an opinion on its retail value so much as ideas where to look for same. (I already use ebay sold listings). My concern is that it might well be a more specialty item & suggestions where to look for comparable stuff.

Attached Files:

7. YsabelVintageOnline

This is a closer view. The embroidery is very involved, trapunto-like, with the thread appearing to be metallic. Besides the dramatic bib below the neck, there are two floral shapes on either side, also in this elaborate 2D raised embroidery. No embellishments are missing. The back is plain. Again, no markings. but I believe it's a raw silk. Any insights much appreciated.
    BTW.

Attached Files:

8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

This is a fairly traditional piece. I don't think it's vintage at all, judging by the fabric. My feeling.

9. YsabelVintageOnline

Thanks for your comments, but what is it, do you know? What about the fabric makes you think it's not vintage? Much appreciated.

10. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Maybe do a burn test to determine the fabric. I couldn't tell without holding it. I'm sorry.