1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying this mink stole based on the gorgeous satin rose-patterned liner?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Brandon Ward, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Brandon Ward

Brandon Ward Registered Guest

Like so many others, my Grandmother had a lovely mink that she never took out of the closet. She was 92 when she passed, and the story of this piece passed with her, leaving questions about its origin up in the air. Wanting to learn more, I've done my fair share of research, but I'm new to fur. This was the very first fur I've ever touched! Still, it didn't take long to conclude this was a mink. This is a mink, right? ;)

Beyond that, this piece doesn't (currently) have a marker's mark or a product tag (and I have looked everywhere three times over). However, it does have one tag remaining:

'Clean By Furrier Method | Do Not Steam or Brush'

I focused on what I could see - the liner - on the off chance I could find another example out there that featured the pattern, and if I did, maybe I could work backward from there. After scouring the web for this satin rose design, alas, I came up empty. Interestingly enough though, after focusing exclusively on the liner, I came to believe this may be the best liner design I've seen so far out of any piece I've come across. Perhaps you'll agree.

Either way, my failed search brought me here to you fine folks, and I thought if nothing else I would get your thoughts. And, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. :)

IMG_5579.jpg IMG_5581.JPG IMG_5580.JPG

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes that is a beautiful lining. Can you show a close up of the fur? The jacket looks 1960s to me, but not sure based on just the few photos. Does not look like mink to me, but again, hard to say without a close up. Are you sure it not a faux fur? Hope you don't mind my asking, but it kind of looks faux in the photos, and the "clean by furrier method" wording is typical of faux furs of the era.

3. Brandon Ward

Thanks for the kind reply. You've got me researching ways to tell the difference between faux and real, now. Here are a few photos per your request:

IMG_5597.JPG IMG_5596.JPG

4. I agree it is faux fur. But, a very lovely one. Being faux mink, I would place it is the mid to late 1960s era.

Vinclothes likes this.
  5. Brandon Ward

Thanks so much for the feedback. I performed a few tests (another first for me) and you were obviously right

Distantdetails and Retro Ruth like this.