1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identifying Valentino Vintage Wool Blend Fabric

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Oct 3, 2018.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi all (again)

This time I have a fabric query,

It's a beautiful wool, silk, nylon and metallic fibre blend. The sparkle from the metallic thread catches the light and it's a gorgeous rich red colour with a soft texture. Pics included.

I think it's likely 1980's as there is a barcode, though it looks like an earlier style of barcode. And it came from the same auction as my loss which are mostly 1980's. It's a lovely large piece over 3 meters (i haven't measured it though, so just a guess).

I'm wondering if there is a specific name for the weave? any better dating than my own? and also what it would have been used for?

It's a heavy fabric so i'm thinking either a coat or possibly cushions/light furnishing?

Any info would be really helpful. It was sold in a high end fabric retailer in London which still exists.

At this point i'm unsure weather I will sell it because I just love it but am having difficulty seeing where I can use it in the home. It certainly needs to be used for something that it will be appreciated and my colour scheme is currently blues golds and greens.

Gem
    valentino fabric 1.jpg valentin fabric 2.jpg valentino fabric 3.jpg valentino fabric 4.jpg valentino fabric 5.jpg

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

What a wonderful piece of designer fabric! Bumping for the fabric people.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

It's lovely! Not entirely sure what I'm seeing in the photos. The edge looks like tweed, but is this some sort of additional layer of the red that stops short of the edge?

4. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Sorry Maggie I realise I was trying to show the detail and loosing the bigger picture,

heres another photo of most of the fabric hanging from a platform bed, it's a large piece so had to fold it over at the top,

IMG_6672.jpg

and another of it folded up

IMG_6683.jpg

I was mostly curious to see if it's a specific type of weave or it has a specific name?

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

GemGem likes this.
  6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hey thats seems pretty spot on! Thank you. I was racking my brains over it because I could see tweed in the border as you mentioned but had no idea what the overall weave was.

From a distance I can see a sort of blurred houndstooth pattern, I thinking it could be either for a bed throw or for furnishings, but I can't seem to find any furnishings by Valentino. So I'm left with... coats?

I'm also left with the problem of working out how to price it, it's a beautiful piece of fabric but I have a very different colour scheme so have decided not to keep it for myself. Do you know anywhere I could find these types of fabrics for sale? It could help me work that out.