1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Is this what I’m hoping it is?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi all

I’ve come across a long black corduroy coat (see photos) which is labelled St Laurent Rive Gauche. It’s got a Russian vibe to it, with a slightly dropped waist and flared skirt, mandarin collar with metal button and chain fastening at the neck (please tell me there is a better name for that) braiding on the waist, front, neck, hem and cuffs and hidden pockets at the side. The inside is padded, with a relatively small diamond quilting.

Ive seen a couple of similar coats on the internet (albeit in a different colour) which are described as being from the 1976/77 Russian collection but I’ve also seen items described as the same with the YSL labelling.

my questions are this -

1. does this look like authentic St Laurent?

2. if so, what are people’s thoughts on dating and could it be from the Russian collection?

3. How should I clean it? It says 100% cotton and dry clean only. Could I steam it? Are there any risks with professional dry cleaning?

fingers crossed...please don’t crush my dreams!!!

Attached Files:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

By the way, I know that there is not authentification on this forum - I’m
    more just wondering if it could be - before I embarrass myself totally and ask someone to formally identify it!!!

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hi. That label is definitely 70s, 76-77 would be a good place. And it sure looks like something from the Russian collection if you ask me. I'm SO excited to see it.

I would probably just air and steam it out and not clean it. Does it need a cleaning really?

4. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks so much! It smells a bit ‘vintage’ if you know what I mean and the corduroy is a little crushed in places where it’s been stored. But I’m going to give it a good air and see where that takes me. It also has a small tear in the lining, but I don’t really want anyone messing around with it to sew it up as you’d probably
    Have to unpick it to do a decent job!!!

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

That's a beautiful find - I love vintage YSL. However, just a tiny bit of perspective... the Russian collection as it's called, was his haute couture collection. Rive Gauche was Yves Saint Laurent's ready to wear line. So strictly speaking, this item can't be from the actual Russian collection, but style ideas would then filter through from his haut couture collections to Rive Gauche. I know I've seen YSL items in the style of his Russian collection in an exhibition and seem to remeber that they had been marked as Rive Gauche (unfortunately I didn't take photos of the notes :BAGUSE:).

6. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks so much - that absolutely makes sense.

anyone any thoughts about cleaning?

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Rive Gauche nodded to the collections, as I recall.

Jonathan likes this.
  8. Blondzai

Blondzai Registered Guest

I don't think it needs a washing but rather a good steaming. The steamer gets that vintage smell out of it. Ive also had luck smoothing out crushed flocked fabrics with a steamer with a brush attachment.

Impey likes this.
  9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

We have a Rives Gauche coat in the collection that is also very Russian collection looking, but is not from the actual couture collection.

Impey and Vinclothes like this.
  10. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks - I’ve been steaming away and hanging it in the fresh air and it does seem to gradually be diminishing (the smell that is!!!)

11. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

that’s super interesting - is there a photo available of the coat? Also can I ask how it’s described in the collection? I want to ensure I don’t incorrectly suggest it’s from The Russian collection, whilst capturing the fact that it’s clearly inspired by it?

12. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Don't say it's from the Russian Collection. It's not. It is maybe Russian inspired.

Impey likes this.
  13. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks Cinthia- and all - for your input, really appreciate it

14. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

HAPPY to help. I love love love vintage YSL.

15. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Here is a pic of our YSL Rives Gauche coat with the Kossak Russian collection look:
    20201213_220506.jpeg