1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Its my first fur! Tissavel Imported From France NEW PHOTOS ADDED

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by nostalgic*collections, Oct 21, 2009.

1. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Any ideas on a date? And I have no clue on how to describe it.

Evidently Tissavel specialized in faux fur that looks like real fur.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much!!

Vicki

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I would call it a "Fun Fur" if its fake. There were a lot of fun furs in the 60s and 70s. More the 70s, but i have seen some 60s i think. The "only by furrier methods" confuses me though.

3. Cute coat! I have a near identical one in full length somewhere in storage. Definitely faux fur.

Many faux furs are cleaned by the furrier method. It is not uncommon to see this stated inside a faux fur.

4. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

I have a small addiction to Faux Fur lol - it's a lovely one - they all say clean using furrier method, or "clean as you would fur" I had a Tissavel last week, if you look on my sold items on Etsy you can see it, my Label was quite differnt, but I'm not sure if that makes your older or newer, my first thought on this guy was late 70s early 80's, but then the collar got me thinking maybe earlier. I love part below the waist hangs, gorgeous!

5. nostalgic*collections

The leather is really dry. I'm wondering if it is real leather sincer Tissavel started in the 50s and does fake. Would they have combined faux fur with real leather?

The leather has a distressed look to it now because of the age. I think it adds character but thats me.

I had never seen anything like it! I got stalked buying it. This lady in front of me was drooling over it. She even waited for me at the door.

Good thing I can hold on tight to a good find!

Thanks for all your help!! And Val, I'm heading over to check out your shop now!

6. Patentleathershoes

With somethings I don't recommend polishing or conditioning because its about character, but in my opinion, a coat like this isn't like a baseball glove. I would get other opinions - but I would probably condition it with a good leather conditioner. Otherwise, if it is cracking versus just getting a nice patina, it may eventually not be wearable. Unlike some bomber jackets, this was meant to stay sleek looking rather than weathered. I might have someone who works with leather - even just from a preliminary standpoint a furrier or someone who is at the belt/shoe/handbag repair place - even if you don't have them doing them maybe they can tell you if it will stop.

You say it has character - well character is good but if it is starting to flake, crack, come apart it would have to be helped.

7. nostalgic*collections

Thank you ladies. Very useful information. If I don't sell it within a couple weeks, I'll be sure to find someone who can treat the leather.

Chris (Patentleathershoes) is leaning towards 60s or 70s. BTW, a BIG thanks to Chris for all her help on this!

Can anyone narrow down a date for me??

Thanks!

Vicki

8. Patentleathershoes

It's hard to say - but from the photo - which I know may not be showing accurately due to the flash - looks like the leather has a crackle finish to it. If so, then it could possibly be faux. But like I say - its hard without additional pics. I would no right off if i was touching it. But then again, the camera and flash may just be making it more slick looking. It makes me lean towards just popping into a furrier or the local shoe repair place and saying "hey, what's this made of"

btw, conditioning only takes a few minutes - so if you are thinking its a long process, it isn't.

9. My best guess is somewhere around the mid 70's on your coat datewise. Looking at the chevron design in the back it doesn't quite feel 60's to me. BUT, I digress, sometimes it is hard to tell with coats. I am not quite sure that your leather is actually leather either, but it is hard to tell with pictures. I suggest taking the coat to your local shoe repair and they can tell you immediately if it is or if it isn't. Are you able to see the backing of the leather at all? That is usually a good indicator. Good luck with your sale and or sleuthing!!

10. nostalgic*collections

I'll retake the photos in the light today. I just had a spurt of energy last night and haven't bought my lighting kit, yet.....

Thanks for all your help!

11. nostalgic*collections

I took photos outside for better lighting.

Please pardon my broke down icky fence. The color of the jacket and the leather did come out WAY better in natural light. I've been dragging my heals because my yard is so yucky.

I need Amanda in Vermont to come and landscape for me. I'm sure she has some goodies in that amazing greenhouse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again ladies! I'm on brain over load!

12. eel

eel Registered Guest

that's faux leather and fur. Conditioning won't do anything.
    still a cute style of coat

13. nostalgic*collections

Thank You So Much!!

14. inkedpalm

inkedpalm Registered Guest

I'm a Faux Fur Freak!!! lol I love the coat but it is not real leather. I doubt there is anything you can do to fix that kind of "character." boo hoo! I've used "Fake Fur" and "Faux Fur" in my listings.

15. nostalgic*collections

Thanks! I like the character. Maybe someone else will, too.... I hadn't thought of fake. Now that you say that, I'm like duh... LOL.

16. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

Ohhh, it is amazing!! I was going to say the Tissa I had the leather wasn't real, not on any of the other ones - I'm going to go with early 80's on your coat - I'm thinking 1982 - the collar is a double collar, it was very popular in the 60's early 70's, but the hardware, and the Chevron, and the buttons all make me think of 80's = super FAB! You'll do well, I'd wait a week or two, someone just listed a WHACH of faux furs on ebay, saturation, not good... :) Sweet coat.

17. nostalgic*collections

Thanks Val! Good to know. I'll wait a bit!