1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me date this cheetah print button down shirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Samantha Berman, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Samantha Berman

Samantha Berman Registered Guest

I picked this cute shirt at my local goodwill a couple of months ago but I could not date it. IMG_0991 (1).jpg IMG_0994.jpg IMG_0996.jpg

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure about this one... couldn't find out anything about the company so far. I see their clothing on Etsy, Ebay and Poshmark, it all looks to be 90s and newer at first glance. As far as I know, not much clothing is produced in the USA anymore, so this is maybe on the earlier side of the this company's existence. I would hazard a guess late 90s to early 00s.

Samantha Berman likes this.
  3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Agree with late 90s/early 2000s. The RN belongs to American Apparel Packages (not sure how that relates to American Apparel)

It's cute and looks very cozy. It could be sleepwear as Mary suggests.

The VFG uses the 20 year rule to define how old something has to be to count as truly vintage, (same as Etsy). Meaning 1990s and the year 2000 is vintage, but not later than that. So this is borderline, possibly old enough to be seen as vintage, depending exactly where on the 1990s/early 2000s it falls.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.59.24.png

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  5. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Thank you for bringing this question to the Forum, Samantha!! That's a really cute top!

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

That's adorable! I used to wear that label back around the late 1990s into the early 2000s, when I was still out in the corporate world. Their stuff was nice, and they did some good party dresses/evening wear. I think I still have two or three pieces, but I can't find them!

I'd put this more into the '90s than 2000s, only because there was a 1990s' revival of the 1980s' popularity of animal prints. Those are always popular, but I remember an upsurge in the late '90s. So, yes, I'd call it vintage.

7. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

8. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

carla rey likes this.
  9. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

That makes sense. Does anyone know about duplicate RN numbers? Mine is different from the OP.

10. Vintagiality

Also, looking at the labels, the one that Samantha posted and Carla's, Samantha's has not copyright symbol so I think hers is from 1993, as the following year the trademark was granted

carla rey and Retro Ruth like this.
  11. Retro Ruth

Interesting, that the same brand uses two different RNs, which appear to be registered to different companies. I don't know why that would be, but I don't really know how RN numbers function.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 16.08.40.png

12. Vintagiality

I assume one company acquired the other

carla rey and Retro Ruth like this.
  13. Retro Ruth

Good call.

14. Samantha Berman

Samantha Berman Registered Guest