1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me identify this old shoulder bag!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by stav.mad, Oct 7, 2017.

1. stav.mad

stav.mad Registered Guest

Hey! A couple of months ago this old genuine leather bag was passed down to me by my aunt. There are no labels on the inside, only a small metal label on the outside that reads "roma". It's is in perfect condition (has never been worn). I'm trying to identify the brand but it has proven to be really difficult and i'm leaning towards the idea that it is probably a an italian small business product , any other suggestions? [​IMG] /[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I think it might be one of those US companies that imported overseas manufactured fashion items. They'd give them an 'exotic' name but a lot times, though inexpensively made, they were made by a known factory. This looks 80s but if an oxblood color ( I can't tell from the photos, sorry), more late 1970s.

3. stav.mad

stav.mad Registered Guest

Thank you so much for your answer! I should also probably note that this item was imported to Greece {i'm not aware where from but i'm guessing somewhere in Europe (?)}

4. Italy produces beautiful quality leather products so that may be why the name is as it is, but I agree that it would hard to find as Roma just means Rome.

I agree with Cin and date this to late '70s to early '80s. My dad gave me a similar briefcase when I went to high school (!). It had the exact same clasp and the lock had a little two-pronged key. Yes, I had trouble fitting, why do you ask? I guess high school had changed since he went there.

INVINTAGEV likes this.