1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed identifying Vintage Givenchy Leather Flight Jacket.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Philip E, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Philip E

Philip E Registered Guest

Hello everyone. As the title states I am in some need in trying to identify this piece, and putting a time when it would have likely been made, and just verifying it is in fact authentic Givenchy. It is a brown leather flight jacket style CWU 45/p. The label is far different than any Givenchy label I have seen listed and is my hopes that it designed to be more like the military issue labels for similar jackets used by the US Airforce. I believe this to be vintage. The leather is soft and heavy weight, with a plus lined interior. If anyone has any ideas about this piece there input is greatly appreciated. Pictures are below. Thanks in advance.
    Phil

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

No idea, but just bumping this up for you in case someone else can help.

3. I have no idea about this either than to say that:
    • It's unlikely to be older than the '70s judging by the label.
    • Having lining embossed with the name "Givenchy" does not necessarily indicate that the jacket was designed or made by Givenchy. I think it's unlikely - it's easy enough to come by (unauthorised) embossed lining with a designer name, and that could be used to line or reline the jacket.
    • The label looks badly sewn in, indicating that the lining could have been replaced at some point.
    So the question that I would be asking is: are there any signs that the lining is original or a replacement? A close look at the seams and construction will reveal the answer.

4. Philip E

Philip E Registered Guest

This jacket has me perplexed. The stitching around the lining and the entire jacket is clean and evenly spaced. The leather is soft and supply and the jacket is heavyweight which makes me believe that quality materials were used in its construction. Thanks for the help though, it is much appreciated.

5. I think this is really kind of strange.

It's seems unlikely that Givenchy ever made bomber jackets for the US Airforce...but of course nothing is impossible I guess.

It's also seems unlikely that someone would sew in a fraudulent Givenchy lining and then a US Airforce label to make it look like an authentic Givenchy coat. So I don't see any motive there. It was likely bulk fabric that was used and is not authentic Givenchy. I've seen other jackets with lining such as this (blazers) that are clearly not authentic either.

I would be extremely reluctant to advertise this as Givenchy without first finding a tie to the US Airforce.