1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed to date and classify item

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by steph1989, Aug 1, 2020.

1. steph1989

steph1989 Registered Guest

hi everybody!
    i have just found this piece in a local market but i can't really figure out what's his function and also i would like to know the age. looks like it not very old since is in very good condition and it's a bright white.
    thank you :)

Attached Files:

2. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

It’s a dickie- worn under a jacket to give the impression of a blouse without added bulk.
    It’s probably older than you think as dickies aren’t really ‘fashionable’ anymore. I have several myself and they date from the 1950’s.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, a dickie, or in this case I would also call it a vestee. I've had items from the 1920s to 50s, this one here I can see to be 50s.

denisebrain likes this.
  4. steph1989

steph1989 Registered Guest

ohh interesting! so it was definetely vintage :)) amazing the things you can find around! to Midge: i was wondering what's the difference between dickie and vestee if there's one
    anyway thank u averybody for your reply !

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

As I understand it, a vestee is rather something with a front and back like yours, but a dickey can be a front-only thing...

6. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

It was not until the 50s that women wore short sleeve or sleeveless blouses and they wouldn't have considered removing their jackets even then.
    So a dickey gave the impression on a blouse, but allowed a certain amount of coolness before air-cond.

Karin, thanks for the info on vestees; I didn't know what they were called.