1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Purchased these vintage items and what to know how about them

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by grace coleman, May 31, 2017.

1. grace coleman

grace coleman Registered Guest

Hi,

I work at Ralph Lauren and they were getting rid of vintage pieces. I have a pdf attached of the items. If anyone knows more about these it would be great!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

2. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

I clicked on this and it downloaded something.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Are these items they were selling on their site, it looks somewhat familiar to me.

It would be best for you to attach the actual photos one at a time of the garments in question and not just the ad page that these came from.

4. grace coleman

No these are eternal. They aren't being sold on the site.
    What era do you think they would be from?

5. grace coleman

It is the pfd of the pieces I purchased

6. poppysvintageclothing

Sorry, but your questions are a little confusing...I have asked that you show us the actual photos of each garment separately...not as this listed grouping.

What do you mean by "eternal"?

What they were stating were 20s, don't look like 20s but you would need to post much better photos.

7. poppysvintageclothing

We don't want to have to download items onto our computers in the forum which is why we have the option to upload photos directly.

Here are the instructions for you. Just take photos (they need to be clearer than what you showed in that PDF file) with your phone of the items you have and it's best to list on separate posts.

The only photo that was clear was the camisole.

here are the instructions -

https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/faq-how-to-post-a-photo.52756/

8. grace coleman

Sorry! I meant internal!

I uploaded more photos of the garments!

Attached Files:

9. poppysvintageclothing

Thank you, Grace, that clears up a lot.

The NRA label is in our label resource.
    This was one that was dated 20s and it is 30s.

http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/nra-national-recovery-act/

The violet slip looks 30s as well.

What does the other side of the rich velvet look like?

Also there was a shawl, do you have a better photo of that?

The camisole looks Victorian or perhaps Edwardian, you need a fine ribbon to put through the top of it through those little insets between the 1st row of lace and the top of camisole.

10. grace coleman

OMG thank you so much!!

I attached the inside of the velvet dress. I think it is lined with silk.

I also attached a better photo of the shawl.

What does the fine ribbon do? Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm just really curious and I am studying Fashion History in Grad School

Attached Files:

11. poppysvintageclothing

The velvet is also looking 30s, it looks quite thick, is there some sort of inner lining between the silk lining and the velvet? It looks more like a coat with that lining and sleeve that you are showing. How does it do up? Another photo of the back of that would help

The shawl is lovely and does look 1920s with that beautiful gold metallic lace border and what looks like a woven silk chiffon. Very Pretty!!!

I take it you did not have to pay the prices that came up on the PDF.

12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I'm very interested to know the dating of the floral shawl as I have a pair of 1920s shoes made of very similar fabric to the coloured portion. I always thought it was handpainted fabric.

grace coleman likes this.
  13. grace coleman

I can send a better picture of the back tomorrow when I am back at work. But I attached a picture of myself in it. Yes, there is a inner lining between the velvet and silk. It fastens on the side with hooks and eyes. I drew on the picture where it closes. I thought it seemed more like a coat but the closure doesn't make sense.

No, no I paid 25 dollars for each piece!!! :)

Attached Files:

14. poppysvintageclothing

WOW....I need a job at Ralph Lauren! That was an amazing price...good for you!
    That does look like more of a coat than a dress. Perhaps at one time it had a matching bias cut gown.

15. grace coleman

Thank you sooo much for all your help!

16. Lovely pieces, Grace: you've done well. Were these used to inspire RL styles perhaps? It's common for designers to have archives to inspire them but I'm surprised by some of these.

17. grace coleman

Hello!
    I took more photos of the back of the velvet dress/coat!

Attached Files:

18. grace coleman

Hello! Thank you!! I think these were inspiration for some of the gowns. We have a historical archive at Ralph Lauren.

19. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

I have sold some things to RL. And to some other designers.

Nice buys....

grace coleman likes this.