1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help reading label French writing dating on Victorian coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by purplerain, May 20, 2019.

1. purplerain

purplerain Registered Guest

LABELtest6.jpg LABELtest6.jpg I have taken about a hundred images of this label trying to read what the writing is. Is it a shop name? name and address? I don't read or write French so very difficult.

Researching the Victorian coat it is a mantel ? It is a cape /capelet? Inderneath it looks like a bustier . It has hook and eye closure under the cape. Lots of jet beading. Material is velvet under cape. Fully lined.Very heavy and not sure if it is all the beading or design.
    The color is a gorgeous deep midnight blue looks black but right light it is that beautiful deep blue.
    If anyone can determine what the label reads that would be wonderful - date of it doubly wonderful!
    Thanks, Jessie

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. Beautiful piece. I look forward to hearing from the experts.

The second line of the label looks like Robes et Manteaux which is French for dresses and coats. The name might be Hopson. The address looks English: 17 East 16th Street

purplerain likes this.
  3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I was just about to post the same reply before I saw Deborah's.

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

5. purplerain

purplerain Registered Guest

Hello Deborah, Thank you for the information. I googled Hopson and responses brought info about Hobson. A few images of women in bustle dresses . of the period.
    I want to find information on their actual shop and not sure if the address is New York. My daughter was close earlier today. She did decipher Hopson and found an apartment is now at the address in NY . I will have to ask how she entered and what address in her google.
    • Jessie

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Ummmm...see my last post above.