1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help saving a dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I am trying to save this pretty two tone dress that had armpit stains. I soaked just the top white part in Restoration and it cleaned the stains nicely but the back along the zipper appears to have had black so it still bled into the white part. Some of it also bled into the white waist strip. I doubt there is anything that could be done but I am truly hoping that someone here has a trick up their sleeve. This isn’t the first time that I have had color bleed into a white trim or white part of a garment. How do you guys clean such pieces? No matter what I try, I end up ruining them.

Here is what it looked like before I soaked it. I’ll post pictures of the awful purple marks that it now has soon.
    7E3EC8EB-DA48-4FD7-8B17-F476C602F84E.jpeg 6D975663-AD85-4D73-8B4C-EA874D345BD6.jpeg

Thank you
    Victoria

2. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I've had great results from Carbona color run remover, saved many a garment.
    2016-09-23 10.12.13.jpg

3. Vintagiality

Carla,

Thank you! I have ordered some already. I can’t wait to try it.

Victoria

carla rey likes this.
  4. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

be aware it is quite powerful, you can use less than recommended and I wouldn't soak and forget because it may leech out color. Watch it while it works.

5. Vintagiality

Thank you, Carla! I definitely will. Do you typically soak the entire garment or just where the stain is?

carla rey likes this.
  6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Oh definitely be careful with Carbona. I've had it pull color out of other colors in a piece.

7. Vintagiality

Thank you Cinthia. Are there any others that work well?

8. I use a product made by Dylon called "Run Away" but it looks like it's been replaced by "SOS Run Remover" which isn't as good. Good thing I bought the Run Away in bulk, it works well as long as you use it soon after the run has happened.

9. Vintagiality

Thank you Nicole. I will try that next. I have a whole box of dresses with color run issues so at least I can try salvaging them. I am most bummed about a red Mr Mort dress that had white trim which is now pink :(

10. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I would start with just the affected area, but yes watch it and dont leave in for too long. Rinse well. Good luck!

11. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I used a similar Colour Run Remover by Dr Beckmans. I only use it on the affected portion by seperating the panels to treat. Obviously this amount of labor is only worth it on select pieces. Do use it outside if possible, the fumes are quite strong. I also found it worked best kept hot for longer - I put a dustpan lid on top of the sink.
    I found the supermarket own brand versions not the same (and not worth trying).

bubblegumvintage likes this.
  12. British Emma

British Emma Registered Guest

I know this is an old thread - vintage thread in fact!

I just soaked a red cotton 50's dress in Restoration. I tested the red cotton for color fastness beforehand, but I did not test the black lace trim. Arrggghh! The black lace has run into the red cotton.

I have ordered some Shout Color Catcher sheets but they will not arrive until next week.I can't go to the shop, I have to order everything online.

What should I do with the dress in the meantime? Keep it wet?

13. No, let it dry but dry naturally without heat. Heat (tumble dryer, direct sun, ironing) will set the dye run. I would put it flat on a towel in the shade, and then line dry out of the sun when almost dry.

Good luck, I think you have a good chance of success. Fresh runs, if not set, aren't too hard to get rid of.

British Emma likes this.
  14. British Emma

Thanks very much, Nicole. I can't believe I did this. Ever since I discovered Restoration I have been having a fab time getting vintage cotton dresses cleaner than clean (and color testing them first), but then the sodding black lace let me down. Will let you know how it goes.

15. British Emma

Nicole, should I try white vinegar?

16. I can't say as I don't have any experience with it. I buy the run remover in bulk so it's always on hand and find it a lifesaver. If you wanted to try the vinegar first, it's unlikely to damage it.

17. British Emma

Thanks, Nicole.