1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help to date & identify fur - possibly 1940s/50s

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Gayle Atkins, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Gayle Atkins

Gayle Atkins Registered Guest

Hi everyone
    I am a bit stumped identifying the pelt on this coat. It was made by M Ludwig Furriers, Winnipeg - the label looks as though it could be from the 1940s or 50s. There is a small fur covered button at the neck and then two larger fur covered buttons near the waist. The fur is VERY soft and glossy, evidence of being sheared. Could it be bear? (thinking bear might be more coarse) or seal?

Many thanks all :)

DSC_0999.jpeg DSC_1000.jpeg DSC_1001.jpeg DSC_1002.jpeg DSC_1003.jpeg DSC_1004.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It is lovely and looks to be in good shape. Hard to be sure judging just from a photo, but I suspect this is "Hudson Seal" which is not real seal but another fur (usually rabbit) that has been dyed, sheared and treated to resemble real seal. I see what looks like pelt seam lines on the back of the coat and the pelts look on the small side. Hence, my guess.

Jonathan, Vintagiality and Vinclothes like this.
  3. Gayle Atkins

Gayle Atkins Registered Guest

Thank you Barbara :) - it's immaculate. Definitely sheared so looks like you're spot on. Thank you for your wisdom and knowledge