1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help to date JONELLE DP Thick Wool Black Watch Kilt/Skirt 70s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 50sVintage, Jul 9, 2021.

1. 50sVintage

50sVintage Registered Guest

Hi All,

Received a large array mostly 60s - 80s pieces from the executor of an estate. This wonderful thick wool blackwatch kilt was made in Scotland. Two questions.

First, is that a "dp" after the name "Jonelle"? I googled and came up with zero results for "Jonelle dp" and all the results for "Jonelle" lack the label of this kilt. There are labels for Jonelle dp Pacemakers but none like the label of this skirt.

Second, please help me to date it. I'm thinking 70s as I vaguely recall seeing the label 40 - 50 years ago but I could be mistaken.

As always, thank you all in advance for your splendid help.

Mia

Jonelle black watch skirt made in scotland (7).JPG

Jonelle black watch skirt made in scotland (2).JPG

Jonelle black watch skirt made in scotland (3).JPG

Jonelle black watch skirt made in scotland (1).JPG

Jonelle black watch skirt made in scotland (8).JPG

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  2. Dilly Day

Dilly Day Registered Guest

Hi Mia,
    It's not "dp" after Jonelle - it's JLP which is John Lewis Partnership. Jonelle was the John Lewis department stores own brand for many years but was discontinued about twenty years ago. Sorry I can't help much with the date of the kilt but think it could be 70s - I had one very similar around 1980.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. 50sVintage

@Dilly Day - thank you for that!! Who'd a thunk "John Lewis Partnershp" from that logo? (I wouldn't have made that out in a million years.) I'll google that now and see what I come up with!

GemGem likes this.
  5. 50sVintage

I googled and also did a search on eBay - that's right, lots of "John Lewis" results and "Jonelle John Lewis" items. Thank you again @Dilly Day

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that longer length had a resurgence of popularity in the 80s, too.

really great, classic skirt!! congratulations!

GemGem and 50sVintage like this.
  7. 50sVintage

Excellent point! Thanks for reminding me!

GemGem likes this.