1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with 2nd dress.. age? What would it have been for?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Melonie, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

Second dress I picked up at estate sale. It is just sheer fabric. Very pretty not much damage to speak of. I was surprised to see a snap. Any idea how this was worn? Age? Thank you!!!!

Attached Files:

• 30.jpg
      30.jpg
      File size:
      27 KB
      Views:
    • 301.jpg
      301.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
    • 302.jpg
      302.jpg
      File size:
      34.3 KB
      Views:
    • 303.jpg
      303.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    • 304.jpg
      304.jpg
      File size:
      16.3 KB
      Views:
    • 306.jpg
      306.jpg
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
    • 307.jpg
      307.jpg
      File size:
      50.2 KB
      Views:
    • 308.jpg
      308.jpg
      File size:
      26 KB
      Views:
    GemGem and Katarzyna like this.
  2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

It looks like a late 1930's early 1940's daytime dressy dress. Lunch, church, meetings etc. It would have worn over a dark, probably brown slip. Does it have any shoulder pads or shoulder lifters? The snap might have been from a previous collar.
    Does it have a side placket. A full length image would help with dating
    Marian

cmpollack, GemGem and Midge like this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

if it's mid calf I would say 1930s, they would often wear sheer dresses with slips underneath. personally my favourite silhouette :)

GemGem and Retro Ruth like this.
  5. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

More pictures, sorry for delay.. I am loving learning so much.... I keep some and then sell some to justify the ones that I keep. My mannequins are going to all be very well dressed lol. She is a glorious 55" from collar to hem.

Attached Files:

Distantdetails likes this.
  6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

You certainly come across some beauties! It would of course be best to see it on a dress form or mannequin or person to be sure. I am seeing mid 1930s, with that collar and length. But the collar may not be original. And it is evening length, is it not? So maybe later 1930s.

7. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

8. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

It is full length, I had it on the mannequin before but she is just a touch too big and it was hard to get it back off. I never thought about the collar not being original... but that makes sense has it appears to be not attached in the same way the rest of the dress is put together. Almost as if it were basted on with like 1/2 inch stitches. It has some staining that looks maybe like rust. I may just remove the collar and see how it looks. You guys are the best!! I have been super lucky with my finds.. This dress was only 15 dollars. Sigh.. I am just waiting to move so I can buy more mannequins and display more. My real love is vintage nursing uniforms and related.

Distantdetails likes this.
  9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I see later 30s with this one. Great find for $15.