1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a Astraka Black Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Emma Boo, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Emma Boo

Emma Boo Registered Guest

Hi Im new to this forum and im new at collecting but im also trying to reduce my collection, i went a bit mad at first :) so i will be listing a few items, my major fear is listing an item incorrectly.

One jacket im stuck on, i think is a late 50's maybe early 60's jacket that could be faux perisan lamb, i think i can see weave between the curls but im not sure, its so heavy and there isnt any gaps between the lining to check.

The lable reads Astraleen and one lable saying an astraka model, fashioned by master furriers.

The other question a have is does everybody clean the items before they sell them or is it better to leave as is, i havent cleaned most of the items ive collected as im unsure how to or i wasnt going to wear them no there wasnt any rush, whats best practise ?

Thank you x

Attached Files:

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Emma -

Happy to see you posting here on the Forum. I did a quick "google" search for Astraleen and found that it is an expired trademark for a company in the UK for imitation fur products made by the parent company Astraka Ltd. You can get more information here:

http://www.trademarkuk.info/tm/717797/astraleen

As far as cleaning items goes, I think that varies a great deal, depending on the item - and whether you have a cleaner you can trust. I think the jacket is from the '50's.

3. Emma Boo

Thank you so much Linn :)

That confirms what i thought too as im based in the UK and found the item here, i knew it was faux but i kept on second guessing myself.

As for cleaning, most of the items i have are not really dirty but do smell a bit stale from storage, wondering does that put off buyers as ive never bought Vintage from the internet, i normaly get mine from carboots and stalls. i havent got a dry cleaners yet.

Thanks again for the link :)

Emma

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Glad the link helped.

Speaking for myself - items with any type of odor are not appreciated! Sometimes a good airing helps get rid of stale odors - as does washing. Dry cleaning not so much. Others will probably add to this discussion about methods of removing stale odors but I've found hanging things outside in the fresh air works the best. (I live in a warm sunny climate :sunshine: - so I realize that is not a year round option for everyone!)

5. I agree with Linn - a good airing does wonders, but then I also live in a sunny climate :sunshine:

I clean everything, and faux furs can easily be done by a dry cleaner although some will charge you premium rates. Shop around - as Linn said, dry cleaning won't necessarily help with odors.

Agree with her dating of '50s faux Astrakhan (called Persian lamb in the US).

6. Emma Boo

Thank you for your replies x

I live in the UK and at the moment its hail stoning and raining so airing outside is not an option, the other thing is i live in a rural area so i dont have much of a choice with dry cleaners.
    I have been reading up on the forum and seen a few hint and tips that i might try out very carefully :)
    Im loving the forum and i have a lot to learn but im sure having fun with it.
    I have a fair few items that i would love to share, i doubt they will be valuble but they caught my eye and i couldnt say no :)

7. Emma, a good trick is to hang the jacket in the bathroom when you're having a shower - the steam will freshen it.

8. Emma Boo

Thank you :) , i will have to try that.

Would a professional steamer do the same thing ? as i have a couple for my shop, ive only ever used them on new modern clothing, bit worried on what can and not be steamed (ive have been known to ruin brand new stock of leather jackets :) ), would any spray be needed ? i have seen some hints on here but i dont know any of the products they have mentioned. Sorry to be such a pain peppering you with questions.