1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a Japanese Aloha Shirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jacqueline Harvey, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Jacqueline Harvey

Jacqueline Harvey Registered Guest

[​IMG]
    I have this Aloha shirt I found at a Walla Walla Washington Estate sale and cannot find anything about the brand. It is a rayon type material as opposed to barkcloth. The print has butterflies and palm.

GemGem likes this.
  2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

photos of the entire shirt would help, please. are the buttonholes vertical or horizontal? how long are the collar points? what are the seam finishes, serged? or French?

GemGem likes this.
  3. Jacqueline Harvey

4. Jacqueline Harvey

5. Jacqueline Harvey

6. Jacqueline Harvey

I'll have to get one more photo of the inside seams. There is a loop button collar

7. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The vertical buttonholes and what look like flat felled seams (as opposed to serged) suggests older, like 60s. I say 60s instead of 50s because of the earthtones colorway, and the lack of print matching for the pocket.

Japan has done some modern reproduction aloha shirts, but this maker doesn't ring a bell. Also, the print is very nice, but not so iconic that it would be a hot seller. So more liekly to be authentic IMO

8. Jacqueline Harvey

Thank you! Everything helps!