1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with a really fun coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by maltby, Jan 7, 2018.

1. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

ok, I tried and failed in leaving this one behind (I live in a condo and love coats/jackets and thats a bad combo combined w all my other vintage hoard!)

I know nothing about this coat except appears to be hand sewn (stitch pics included) and has the best lining and a sparkly clasp at the back. The pockets are slit pockets sewn shut/not functional

And ideas on dating or anything else about the coat?

thanks in advance

IMG_5604JPG.jpg IMG_5605JPG.jpg IMG_5606JPG.jpg IMG_5607JPG.jpg IMG_5608JPG.jpg IMG_5609JPG.jpg

Attached Files:

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. Great coat, love the lining! It looks like a '50s clutch coat to me, nicer than most. Perhaps for the opera.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Love the lining! I would have thought too that this went with some kind of evening outfit, also due to the motif on the lining.

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I agree with what has been said above, but just to add that it's not hand sewn. The stitching you showed from the hem lining is a machine inivisible-hem or pick stitch. When done correctly half the stitch *just* goes over the edge of the fabric and you get a tiny stitch through the outer that is barely seen. It was available on both domestic and industrial machines but my hunch is this is home sewn by the quality of stitching.

5. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

Great! Thanks so much as always, I feel slightly better now about my rash impulse buy!