1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with aging a wedding dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Emily Zatt, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Emily Zatt

Emily Zatt Registered Guest

IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0675.JPG IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0603.JPG IMG_0604.JPG IMG_0605.JPG IMG_0607.JPG IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0602.JPG

I just came across this gorgeous handmade wedding dress and would love to know the approximate date. I received it for a very kind lady at a flee market how just want to go to a good home. so I don't have any details about its past. I tries to take as many pictures that I could think of, but if I missed anything I will be more than willing to take more

I do know that its make of satin and lace, it has pad shank buttons and has some tulle in the sleeve hem. Their is no lining, their are also three finger loops on the skirt(sorry I don't know the term for it). Some of the seams have been pinked as well. The waist also as some piping

From the research that I have done I thinking that its 1930s but I'm still not sure I'm a current fashion student, so any reasoning to the date would be extremely helpful.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. Hi Emily and welcome to the forums. Lovely gown! Are there any shoulder pads? I see late'40s, maybe into the early '50s. Can you tell if it's silk or rayon satin?

3. Emily Zatt

Emily Zatt Registered Guest

Their aren't any shoulder pads and it feels as if it more of a rayon than a silk

4. Nancylou

Nancylou Registered Guest

Lovely dress. The small pointed collar looks early 50s to me. Something about it reminds me of Grace Kelly's dress. However, hers didn't have a pointed collar. Hers did have a high neck, though. Agree with Nicole, the silhouette looks like a 40s, 50s cusp.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Same here, seeing late 40s or early 50s too. Very pretty gown!

6. Thanks Emily. No shoulder pads puts it into the early '50s. Rayon was a popular wedding dress material through this time.