1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Button Identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Henry Wilkinson, Nov 21, 2020.

  1. Henry Wilkinson

    Henry Wilkinson Trade Member

    I don't know if any of you are button experts, but I could do with some help!
    I'm wanting to find out what this style of button is called, but I can't find any sort of terminology that could help me source a match. It's from a vintage garment but I'm sure it's possible to source the same type nowadays.

    They're flat shank buttons with a deep ridge, but I don't know if this ridge, or style of button, has a name.

    Any ideas?

    Attached Files:

  2. Metro Retro Vintage

    Metro Retro Vintage Trade Member

  3. denisebrain

    denisebrain VFG President Staff Member

    I think I'd call those rimmed shank buttons.
  4. amandainvermont

    amandainvermont Trade Member

  5. amandainvermont

    amandainvermont Trade Member

    And Matthew has answered:

    I couldn't think of any specific term that would apply to that style. I tried google image searches using rather vague terms for the high rim and metal shank, but didn't find anything that was even close. I don't think it's a particularly common style -- I would imagine that the high, thin rim would have been susceptible to chipping.

  6. Distantdetails

    Distantdetails Administrator Staff Member

    I don't know, but I'm thinking of descriptors such as "scooped-out", "saucer-shaped" "high-wall"--things like that. And, of course, what Maggie and Matthew (via Amanda) have said.

    Nice to see you on the forums, Henry!
    Henry Wilkinson likes this.
  7. Henry Wilkinson

    Henry Wilkinson Trade Member

    Thank you so much everyone for your input! It seems there isn't one common word for this style of button - every example that shows some resemblance has a different name for it - 'saucer', 'ridged', 'rim', 'concave', 'bowl'.
    Hopefully when they begin to open again I can visit specialised shops that I can show in person. Doing it on the internet is hard! :wacko:

Share This Page