1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with 'Caribbean Court' shoes by Lotus

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pinkcoke, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Help with \'Caribbean Court\' shoes by Lotus

I wanted to check the era of these as lots of things indicate 50s to me but the label is a bit new looking and I can't find any info on the Lotus shoe brand even though I know its been around for a while.
    They have the same thick, curved shank as the rest of my older shoes, and a philips head screw in heel tip that appears to be leather, sole is painted leather (I can see the paint where it goes up onto the inside of the heel tip) and it has the old sizing of 70B stamped on the shank, inside is written 'Carribean court' (which I think is a great name :) ) What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Agree with '50s, although I haven't seen a peep toe style like that - but everything else says '50s so I think you're safe.

Nicole

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thanks, I'd seen the ruched peep toe in 40s styles but figured they didn't do that in the 80s (I'm pretty sure they would have gone for the cheaper option of a plain cut and sticking an embellishment on)

It was this pair that got me thinking: http://eng.shoe-icons.com/museum/object.htm?id=91

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

From the side they look solid 50s, but there's something about that toebox treatment that says newer to me. And I didn't think the logo embedded in the insole thing was done until a couple of decades later.

Will be interested to hear what Jonathan has to say.

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

6. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Wow, love the starry heels on those. So it looks like some makers did use that technique. But I would have to say the font of the Schiaparelli's looks era appropriate. The Lotus logo still looks more modern to me.

7. On first glance I'm getting an 80's feel, but shoes are not my forte' so I may be way off.

8. joules

joules VFG Member

I'm in the they're more recent than 50s camp.

Oh Jonathan...come in, Jonathan...

9. Pinkcoke, thank you for the links - the first one is classic early '50s, with a thicker heel. I think yours are later '50s. The style did come back in the '80s and at first glance that's what I thought yours were, but the toe shape and the way the shoe dips down into the toe....I'm looking forward to hearing Jonathan's opinion too.

Nicole

10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

There's an identical "Carribean Court" pair on etsy, except in black suede. I'm not supposed to post links to live sales, but if you search vintage for Lotus Film Noir Shoes you'll find them.

Thought they might help with dating.

11. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I agree with you there Nicole, looking through other 50s shoes these would have to be mid to later, but not into the new look style yet.

Thanks GoldenAge, it was useful to look at that pair as the label makes much more sense now that I know it had 'A lyric model' (in a much more typical gold printed style label) under the heel of the foot originally. It also explains why the label read 'By lotus' (all modern versions are Lotus alone to my knowledge) without any other info that was a bit strange on my pair. This also makes it more similar to my other 50s pair which are made by Holmes Norwich for Matthias Robinson Ltd. These sound like they were a particular commissioned range as well.

12. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I would have said mid 50s to late 50s on these, but no later. The shape/style of the "peep" in the peep-toe doesn't look like the 80s re-incarnation to me, although it does not look typical for the 50s, either. But these look older than newer to me..... If they were still doing peep-toes in the 60s (and maybe they were--I have no idea), I would even say early 60s due to the brocade fabric and the heel shape--which looks rather 60s to me. But, alas, I am no expert on shoes!!!!!

The typeface looks very mid-century modern to me.

Hopefully Jonathan can set this mystery to rest!

13. lizzietree

lizzietree Registered Guest

I have 3 pairs of Lotus Caribbean courts and to my knowledge they are late 50s. I am sure I've seen them advertised in late 50s vogues as well.
    Unfortunately the whole of my vintage collection is packed up as I am returning to university at the weekend so I can't check the Vogue article I put in with one of the pairs.

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Lizzie, I'd love to see that article when you can dig it out. Are your 3 pairs all different?

15. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

that font doesn't look 50s to me either. looks much more modern. also, i don't recall ever seeing a shoe older than 80s that had the size stamped on the sole.

they are confusing.

16. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

hrm. just took a look at the pair on etsy. they are identical except for color, and that gold circle on the insoles that says 'lyric model,' which does look 50s.

17. Maybe they are just ahead of their time :eureka:

18. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Although a couple of people have said that the font for Lotus looks too modern, it's similar, though simplified, to the Lotus logo shown on 1940s and 50s Lotus shoe ads.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The font varies slightly in each ad, but they are in keeping with the font shown in the shoe, especially the third ad.

Ruth

19. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Well, I didn't think that face looked modern.... I may not know my shoes, but I generally know my typefaces! LOL! Thanks for posting these ads--what a great reference for the shoes in this thread as well as for the period.

20. lizzietree

lizzietree Registered Guest

Hello yep my three pairs are all different i have a pair of plain white and plain brown ones and a pair of weird brocadey ones (a little bit like yours but not so nice) which are in terrible condition. When I get the chance I will post a pic : )