1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Claire Joyce hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Sep 27, 2020.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't know the history of Claire Joyce hats, but I see them in advertisements from the latter half of the 1930s through about 1947. This hat is made of straw or man-made straw, I'm honestly not sure. It has a wide brim and shallow crown with a black grosgrain ribbon band. There is an inner crown and a broken elastic cord that would have once helped hold the hat on.

My first thought on this hat is that it dates from the 1950s and the feathers were added sometime thereafter to give someone a Victorian costume. The feathers are gorgeous and really kind of work on the hat.

Can anyone help me with a date on the hat, whether the feathers have been added as I suspect, and/or anything about Claire Joyce? Thank you very much in advance.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    P1010083.JPG

P1010090.JPG
    P1010091.JPG

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. Yes, late 1940s picture hat with the inner cap.
    I suspect the plumes were added also.
    And I believe you mean Clair Joyce

denisebrain likes this.
  3. denisebrain

Thank you, and yes indeed I meant Claire Joyce! :duh2: Late 40s makes good sense to me.

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree that those gorgeous ( probably Edwardian era) plumes are an addition to a late 40s, early 50s hat. Those big visible stitches on the under brim look home or dressmaker work rather than manufactured millinery stitching.

But it all works together!

denisebrain likes this.
  6. denisebrain

Thank you Mary and Hollis!
    I'm so glad you think so too.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Agree with the others, late 40s to early 1950s. I am leaning to early 1950s. And yes, the plumes were added later but they look fabulous!

Maggie, you look smashing in that hat.

denisebrain likes this.
  8. denisebrain

Thank you Barbara! I like big hats and I cannot lie!