1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with coat fabric

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, May 28, 2017.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I am looking for help with identifying the fabric of this 60s opera coat. The brand is Marcwyn. I thought it's gabardine but it's quite sleek so I am not sure that's right.

IMG_2500.JPG IMG_2501.JPG IMG_2503.JPG IMG_2508.JPG IMG_2509.JPG

Thank you
    Victoria

2. Victoria, it looks like alaskine to me - a mix of silk and wool that was popular in the '60s.

denisebrain likes this.
  3. Vintagiality

Thanks Nicole!

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a lovely coat. I also thought it looks a bit like Alaskine or a plump shantung. However in the close ups it looks like a knit fabric and not at all like either of those two fabrics. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me?

5. Vintagiality

Thank you, Barbara. I love this coat! I don't think it's a knit fabric but then again identifying fabric is something I have a really hard time with. It is a heavy fabric with quite a bit of sheen so alaskine seems like a good match. Shantung, I think is much more lightweight.