1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating a beaded top please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Dilly Day, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Dilly Day

Dilly Day Registered Guest

I have recently acquired this pretty top and would very much appreciate some help in determining its age.
    My first thought was 1920s but having had a good look at it I'm not so sure - it's in such good condition. It seems to be made of a very thin silk chiffon type fabric. The beads are glass and it is quite heavy. The fabric is bias cut and there are no back or side fastenings - just poppers/press studs on each shoulder. Think it is handmade and looks as though it was originally the top of a dress.
    The flowers are made from some sort of grosgrain ribbon.
    There is a separate contrasting sash which I think is also silk - possibly the sash was once attached to the garment but has been unpicked.
    The beading is very similar to that on a 1950s cardigan I have, so that set me thinking could it be of a similar age (possibly from Hong Kong?) - I just don't know!
    I thought I could adapt it for a lovely summer top but sadly it is much too small for me!

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What an exquisite piece. Yes, your first call is right, 1920s. The workmanship is wonderful.

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Gorgeous. WOW!!!! I agree with 1920s.

5. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

That really is gorgeous. And exquisite. I also agree with 1920s.

6. Dilly Day

Thank you all for your replies.
    I was hoping it was 1920s but it just seemed to be too vibrant and perfect! The original dress must have been absolutely stunning.
    Just wish I knew what to do with it now - I can't resist buying lovely things on impulse with no thought to how I'll use or store them!

7. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Beware. That’s how I found myself in this business several decades ago.
    :BAGUSE:

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

9. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

What are the measurements? I may be interested if you are planning to part with it

10. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

How beautiful! And the condition...incredible!

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

12. Dilly Day

It is a gorgeous piece of work and will probably stay on the mannequin in a corner of my craft room.
    Thanks for your interest Victoria but I intend keeping it for now - it's so beautiful I'm happy just looking at it!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  13. Rue_de_la_Paix

Again, may I say it is a beautiful piece! A suggestion is to not leave it on the mannequin for any good length of time, as the weight of the beads will weaken the silk and the damage is usually not easily (if at all) repairable. For longer term storage, laying flat is best.

14. Dilly Day

That is a good point, thank you Barbara. I will pack it away safely soon - just seems such a shame to leave it sitting in a box though!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  15. Rue_de_la_Paix

Oh yes! I would do the same, leave it up and admire it for a while for sure!