1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating a italian lace dress please no label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Dolly, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Dolly

Dolly Registered Guest

Hi,

I was left a lot ( and I mean a lot, she kept everything) of vintage clothing mainly dresses from my aunt a while ago, I am slowly going through them and have very limited knowledge of vintage fashion so please bear with me.

This is one of the dresses it has a side button fastening as well as buttons with rouleau loops up the back and on the sleeves, I believe it came from Italy like most of her pieces did, I can see by the shape of most of her things the era they are from but this one has me a bit flummoxed because there is no label and of the button fastening, is it 70s maybe?
    ( I'm hoping it's not back to front because there are so many buttons I t took a while to get into it ) apologies about the poor quality photos in advance... thankyou for any help you can give it's really appreciated

Attached Files:

Retro Ruth likes this.
  2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

It's a lovely dress. The front appears to be shaped for the bust although the buttons on the side would usually be on the left side.

Does the lace stretch?
    Your aunt may have removed the label because it showed under the lace.

3. Dolly

Dolly Registered Guest

Thankyou, I think that's what threw me a bit as in the pictures I have looked at the buttons are on the other side, it's quite heavy and the lace has hardly any stretch to it, the skirt is very full it reaches the floor on me as I am just under 5ft

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

To me it looks like either 40s or 70s. :wacko:

Dolly, is one more likely for the collection from your aunt, based on her history, size, and style?

6. Dolly

Dolly Registered Guest

Thankyou so much to both of you for replying , she left me clothing from the 30s to the 90s mainly so it's a real mix I have a 60s trapeze dress ( well I think I do!) And a fair few 40s 50s and 70s dresses and lots from abroad mainly Italy that I have no idea about yet.
    I'm slowly tracking down labels and looking at zips and shapes , it's a real learning curve for a beginner and I am literally eating books to try and learn more... thankyou ladies my gut said 40s from the button fastening then I swayed myself to 70s not quite ready to trust my gut instinct yet .

Thankyou

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks older to me, more 40s than 70s. Something about the shape of it above the waist to the bustline. The buttons look older. I have had older dresses that did up on what we consider the wrong side.

. Lucky you...can't wait to see more.

8. Dolly

Dolly Registered Guest

Thankyou so much, i really appreciate all your help and advice