1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating and info about David Worsell suit/London

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Viking 23, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Viking 23

Viking 23 Registered Guest

Hi,

I recently acquired an unusual 3 piece black velvet suit with the label "David Worsell London". It also has a label "made in England". Its got vertical silver metallic stripes and looks to be custom made. Its very "glam" and I'm guessing it would be from the early to mid 1970's. I can't find any information about this designer on the internet, except for several other people looking for information about David Worsell that have velvet suits of their own. Any information about David Worsell from this learned group would be much appreciated. From other posts from those looking information link him to Malcolm Hall, a much more famous designer of celebrity musicians from that era, but the reference is very vague. I sent the suit to my son, who collects vintage clothing, and I will have him take a photo of it and post it soon for reference. I really enjoy this forum!

Thanks

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi, I am unfortunately not familiar with this maker, but it would also help if you could post images of your item.

3. Viking 23

I'm a bit computer illiterate, but I'll try to post a photo. This is not me wearing the suit, but a friend of my son's. It also has a matching vest. It's black velvet and I believe the stripes are silver lurex. I believe its a men's suit based on where the buttons are, but it is quite small and would probably fit women better. Thanks for trying and responding!

Attached Files:

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

If the buttons do up on the right hand side it is a man's suit. Looks quite stunning! Can you show us photos of the actual labels and the jacket lining as well, this will help.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks to me like a man's suit from the early 70s.

6. Viking 23

Thanks for the reply! The buttons are on the correct side for men, so I believe this must have been made for a very short, thin man. I gave the suit to my son who collects vintage clothing, so I will request that he send me a photo of the label and lining, but I may have to wait a bit. I could kick myself for not taking my own photos! I think its quite stunning too, as does my son, but alas, I have no clue to the identity of David Worsell of England.

7. Viking 23

Thanks Jonathan. I was thinking either late 60's or early 70's, but I think you're correct that 70's is more likely.

8. silversaturation

silversaturation Registered Guest

I know a bit of info regarding David Worsell , I have the same suit. It was probably me you saw posting in other forums. He did work out of the same store on Wigmore St. In London as Malcolm Hall, very short lived only a year or 2. He had previously worked for Alkasura on the king's Rd. But after John Lloyd's suicide he couldn't keep the clothing line going. Let me know if you need any more info.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  9. silversaturation

silversaturation Registered Guest

Date would be late 1975 , early 76

poppysvintageclothing likes this.