1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating and technique

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some help with dating this dress. I thought it was 60s at first but I am not so sure the more I look at it. I am familiar with the label since it's from around here. It was a high end boutique located in Brookline, Massachusetts near Boston and showcased the designs of Mrs. Cyreld Spiller. The boutique operated from 1942 until 1995 and supplied gowns for many television shows from the 50s through the 80s. Among its longtime customers were Audrey Meadows, the Jackie Gleason girls, and the Bess Myerson television show. Miss Spiller also supplied wedding party dresses for Whitney Houston.

Some of Cyreld's dresses are at the Museum of Fine Arts like this one: https://www.mfa.org/collections/object/womans-evening-ensemble-514111

Any thoughts on dating?

Also, what is the technique on the bodice? Or if it has no name, how would you describe it? It's almost like little feathery pieces woven in along with some gold thread.

IMG_3106.JPG IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3108.JPG IMG_3109.JPG IMG_3113.JPG IMG_3114.JPG IMG_3115.JPG IMG_3116.JPG IMG_3117.JPG IMG_3118.JPG IMG_3119.JPG IMG_3120.JPG IMG_3121.JPG

Thank you
    Victoria

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It looks like chenille on chiffon. AS to date - My guess is early 1980s. But some questions: what kind of zipper? are there shoulder pads?

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Love the color~ I also see 1980s in this dress, and also early 90s, but am not sure. The fabric looks like a burn out velvet/ voided velvet to me. Are the gold portions an applied substance such as paint, gilt, etc? Or are they woven in? If you show the back of the bodice fabric that will tell if it is a burn out technique.

4. Vintagiality

Thank you both. The zipper is actually visible in the picture with the label. There are thin pads with boosters. Here is a photo. The gold thread and other pieces appear woven to me but I can't see the back since the dress is lined.

Is 80s still the consensus?

IMG_3121a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Yup, 80s - early/mid would be my guess 83ish

Vintagiality likes this.
  6. Vintagiality

Thank you, Jonathan. By the way, I am reading your book. It’s really so informative!

Jonathan likes this.