1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating Bloomingdales label / wool coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lucy Ericson, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Lucy Ericson

Lucy Ericson Registered Guest

My daughter was given this vintage Bloomingdales wool coat with velvet collar. Is there a resource available to date the coat based on the label?

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Smashing coat! The fit looks great.
    We have our own public label resource here but no entry for Bloomingdales as yet.
    The curly B seems to feature on Bloomingdale labels from the 1950s, your style of label; with the very plush satin and silky embroidery sewn on with X stitches, is often found on coats between 1940's-60's.
    Would it be possible to see the coat laid out open? to show the lining, and the construction on the outside. How full is the skirt?

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like a late 30s or early 40s velvet opera coat.
    What a lovely gift!

I agree with Melanie that some more photos would be of help to id the dating.

4. Lucy Ericson

Lucy Ericson Registered Guest

Here are more pictures.
    #1 - is the backside of the lining at the hem
    #2 - is the backside of the coat at the hem
    #3 - is the full view of the lining
    #4 - is the full view of the outside
    The skirt laid out is 3 yards wide. It looks like it is all machine sewn except for the lining of the sleeve near the shoulder (which could be repairs) I appreciate your help. I would have guessed the 1950's myself.

Attached Files: