1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Dating Cotton Sweater

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by PastPiecesVintage, Sep 3, 2017.

1. PastPiecesVintage

PastPiecesVintage VFG Member

It is knitted with cotton yarn and fully lined. The buttons have been removed and the button holes have been sewn up. When I bought it, I was thinking 1950s because of the color and pattern. There are no tags of any kind to offer a clue. I'm doubting myself about the date and would like other opinions. What would this design be called? Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

foofoogal likes this.
  2. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

This reminds me very much of some 70s sweaters I have owned. The design looks "tribal" inspired. If you google "vintage 70s tribal sweater" a number of images come up of sweaters similar in style to yours. Hope some more folks can help!

cmpollack likes this.
  3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Can you show us a close up of the button holes, Diana? And... how many are there? That might be a clue.

I know Southwestern/Native American pattern sweaters were popular in the 70s, but the pretty colorway of this one seems unusual. As does the lining!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The pattern reminds me a lot of those old Beacon or Pendleton robes or dressing gowns.

The styling of your jacket make me think of the late 70s or early 80s though.

cmpollack likes this.
  5. PastPiecesVintage

The brown colorway and acetate lining made me think 50s at first. The fact that it's cotton threw me off and I began doubting it was 50s. Then I began to wonder if it *was* a Ralph Lauren production. I've searched RL sweaters, but nothing like this comes up. It has 4 buttonholes. Looking closer at the lining, it does look like it was hand sewn in, perhaps to retain the shape? I don't want to list it until I can pin down a date.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. PastPiecesVintage

Another question. Should I open up the buttonholes and put buttons on it?