1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating fur jacket please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hazel, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Hazel

Hazel Registered Guest

I recently acquired this; I think it's rabbit fur but happy to be corrected, I'm no fur expert! It needs reconditioning (dry but not shedding) which I was going to have a go at myself, but before I put all the work in I'd like an idea on the date - I think it might 1930's having seen a very similar one?

It's been interlined with a soft, loosely woven fabric, cotton perhaps - I unstitched part of the lower hem as I could feel something and wondered if it had been re-lined over the old lining. It has a small inner pocket on the left lapel, the lining feels man made - perhaps a rayon? It has a huge collar that could be worn up or down and fastens via a single large button. No label anywhere.

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

Pretty jacket. It is rabbit and it dates to the 70s, maybe the early 80s. The lining is a synthetic satin.

3. Hazel

Hazel Registered Guest

Hi Caryn, thank you!

peaceful vintage likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I only wanted to comment that although it is rabbit, an inexpensive fur, it really is one of the nicest styles of rabbit jackets or coats that I have seen in a long time. Very stylish and luxurious looking. Due to the shorter length and the cut, I can see why you thought it might be from the 1930s, it has that sort of appeal. But as Karyn said it is more contemporary.

:wub:

peaceful vintage likes this.