1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating the style of a dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi all

Happy new year and fingers crossed for a brighter 2021! I wonder if I could have your thoughts as to the era that a dress is emulating? I think the dress is probably late 60s/70s based on washing instructions, composition (polyester) and sizing (it’s labelled 14 but wears smaller), but it could be later. Either way it seems to be emulating an earlier style. Any ideas about both its actual age and the style?

with thanks

Impey

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I believe the care symbols were not used in the US until the early 90s.

4. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

I’m in the U.K., so I think it was a bit earlier here?

5. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Yes, according to Ginetex, they started in 1963 and Britain joined in 1975 which probably means they started being widely used in the UK a few years later. I think your dress is late 70s/ early 80s.

“On March 26th, 1963, the international Asso- ciation for textile care labelling GINETEX ( Groupement International d’Etiquetage pour l’Entretien des Textiles) with head office in Paris, was founded after several International Symposiums for Textile Care Labelling held in Europe at the end of the 1950’s. The founding members were the Benelux countries, the Federal Republic of Germany, France and Switzerland.”
    E00D1799-D20D-4AE2-A338-608F4EC8F099.jpeg

Retro Ruth likes this.
  6. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

I would have said late 70's early 80s but does seem to be emulating that 50's Lucille Ball look.

Jonathan and Vintagiality like this.
  7. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks everyone - and love the Lucille ball reference!

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Agree with this, and based on my experience of UK labels, I think earlier than later in this range more likely. I've seen similar labels a lot on 70s stuff.

I'm seeing more 40s than 50s in the influence. I quite often see a 40s influence in certain 70s garments, and going into the 80s.

Vintagiality likes this.
  9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I am thinking 1980/81 - not a great style period for most fashion as it was transitioning. I see it with white open-toed medium-size heeled pumps and a matching shoulder bag, nude pantyhose, and a haircut that involves bangs...
    5126109811_eb53d3f8b4_o.jpg

10. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks everyone - 70s would certainly fit with information I got from the seller, but I’m not prepared to grow a fringe!

Retro Ruth likes this.