1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating this dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tamzzyn, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Hi all :)

Would you say this dress is, late 40s or early 50s? I was initially leaning more towards early 50s but there are shoulder pads and I'm not sure when they started to disappear (it even if they did completely). It has a side metal zip and the material appears to be a tweed wool (although I am no material expert). I picked it up from a thrift store for $5.99!

Thanks!

received_10156426006819768.jpeg received_10156391022579768.jpeg

2. Shoulder pads vanish in the early '50s but your lovely dress has other style elements that suggest you could be right with late '40s.

StitchesandSnags and Tamzzyn like this.
  3. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thank you so much :)

For reference, what other elements suggest that this is a late 40s dress? I love learning about the differences :)

4. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Love those pockets! I associate those (the ones that stand out a bit from the dress body) with late 40s, and also that sort of slightly more stiff, slubbed fabric. I really like the dress.

Tamzzyn likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would go with 1949-1951

Tamzzyn likes this.
  6. Yes, as Jonathan mentions the dress has style elements that are '49-51: the pointed turned back sleeve cuffs, the slubby fabric, the skirt length. The reason I put it more into late '40s is due to the '40s silhouette with the strong shoulder line but some ladies and places continued this style into the early '50s so it could be, as Jonathan says, '50 or '51. In these cases the shoulder pads are usually smaller though.

Tamzzyn and StitchesandSnags like this.
  7. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

What an amazing find and it fits you really well too :D

Tamzzyn likes this.