1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with fabric

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hello all,

Could you help me identify this fabric? I want to call it linen burlap or something like it but it's not as rough to the touch.

Thank you
    Victoria
    IMG_7932-cutout.jpg IMG_7933-cutout.jpg IMG_7934-cutout.jpg IMG_7935-cutout.jpg IMG_7936-cutout.jpg IMG_7939-cutout.jpg IMG_7941.JPEG

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Linen weave rayon? You might want to do a burn test. Good luck.
    Marian

denisebrain and Vintagiality like this.
  3. Vintagiality

Thank you Marian!

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Marian, why do you think it's rayon? I'm not questioning you--just trying to understand since I have very little experience with rayon

Testing. If it is linen when you burn it, it will leave a skeleton of the yarns; if it is rayon, it will burn like cotton.

Victoria, a look at the label might help. If it is an expensive design, it may be linen; if a more moderate price, it's probably rayon.

Vintagiality likes this.
  5. Vintagiality

Hi Claire,

There is no label. Just a ILGWU tag. I wouldn’t think it’s an expensive design. I am afraid of doing any kind of burn tests in my apartment due to all the sprinklers. Probably just me being paranoid. Anyhow, the fabric doesn’t feel like either linen or rayon to the touch. Not nearly as soft. It’s not as rough as burlap but definitely has some of that feeling of a burlap bag.

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Vintagiality likes this.
  7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Another possibility is that it is union cloth - a cotton/linen or cotton/rayon blend.

Vintagiality likes this.
  8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Another possibility is that it is union cloth - a cotton/linen or cotton/rayon blend.

9. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

It is hard to tell what a fabric is from images. You need to be able to touch it, crumple it up, even smell it to get an idea. But the style of the dress and the close up images resemble linen weave rayon fabrics I have had experience with. But the rougher texture and slubs make me uncertain. I think, Maggie has nailed (pinned) it with rayon butcher cloth. And it could be a blend, as Linn says. So much to learn.
    Marian

Vintagiality likes this.
  10. Vintagiality

Reading about rayon butcher cloth, I think that Maggie is correct! Thank you so much everyone.