1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with figuring out the buttons/fastening for this 1940's dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tamzzyn, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Hi all!

I managed to pick up this lovely 1940s R&K Originals dress at a thrift store yesterday. It's in wonderful condition but the chest area has confused me. I'm not sure how to explain it all (hopefully the photos will translate for me). There are some beautiful buckle looking things on each side of the dress opening on the chest; however, I have no clue how they are supposed to close the opening. Further up there are two poppers that close that area, but it almost looks like something has been removed in two spots. Anyway - could anyone help me out? There is also a side zip.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Don't think the two sides are supposed to link together directly. Perhaps there were chains or something else to attach them together? Is there anything on the INSIDE of the placket? Not very helpful, I know. Pretty dress.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

is there enough buttonholes that they could go in pairs vertically? i.e. one end goes through both layers and the other above it? they may just be removeable for laundering.
    It doesn't have button holes on the sleeve cuffs does it? they are usually found buttoned there like cufflinks.
    It would help to see the buckle/button things seperately off the dress.

4. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thank you ladies :)

There are no button holes at all on the dress and there are only two poppers that close the top part of the placket, but nothing in the bottom half where the button things are. I will get some photos taken of the button things and get them uploaded on here in the next few days.