1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Hawaiian fabric

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DeCoDiVa, Mar 3, 2019.

1. DeCoDiVa

DeCoDiVa Registered Guest

[​IMG] Hello and Thank You in Advance for help.
    My question for this vintage novelty fabric is ... there’s a paper tag attached to the yardage with thread .. so it’s basted on.. almost like a Hong Kong quality paper listing the “all cotton” content ...
    but what does JDIF mean? Did several searches but stumped. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Your image isn't showing.

DeCoDiVa likes this.
  3. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

4. DeCoDiVa

yes ... that is it... thank you !

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Linn

The fabric looks 1960s to me. I can't find anything about this label either. I did find an identical label by doing a search for "A' Passed label on Vintage Fabric". It is a cotton print pile velvet and is dated 1960s, also. I am "guessing" that "A' Passed JDIF" is an export label but I can't find anything about it anywhere - except for one hit I got searching with Google. It does look like it might be from Hong Kong.

Hawaii became a State in 1959. The Seal on the fabric is a stylized version of the Hawaii State Seal. And, the colors and other designs and motifs looks very '60's to me, as well.

Where did you find the fabric?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    DeCoDiVa likes this.
  7. DeCoDiVa

LIn... that’s a
    That’s a LOT of info ... I believe the letters are J D I F , so ... an export label.. online seller said it’s from his mom’s stash .. I’m in heaven!!
    I knew about the state seal ... But Hong Kong confirmation is appreciated I have a Hong Kong Company’s salesman's catalog with suit styles & fabric swatches ... it also came with individual instructions for ordering ... the paper and dye is almost the same stock!
    Thanks to you and Metro Retro for helping me out on the post... I’m out of practice

8. Linn

JOIF is a typo - sorry - I have corrected it above. Just to be clear - I think that the label on the fabric is probably an export label and that the "A" Passed means something like approved but again, that is a guess. I am also guessing that it is from Hong Kong - because you mentioned in your original post that it looks labels you have from Hong Kong - and it looks like that to me, too - or another Asian country. But, unless it states on the label or on the selvage of the fabric that it is - or you find out something more conclusive, it's just a guess. I do think it's from the 1960s and that's a much more "educated" guess!

Do you have the fabric in your possession or is this something you are considering buying?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  9. DeCoDiVa

No Linn, it’s here in all it’s blueness & gold glory! Again thanks for the help.

10. DeCoDiVa

Thank you ... I follow your IG, BTW.

Midge likes this.