1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With ID of This Bag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by steve w, Jan 15, 2021.

1. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Hi I am intrigued by this bag I have and wondering if anyone can help me date it from the style and what it would be called ?

It appears to be Nylon thread knitted - has intricate gold endings - flat bottom - measures about 10" wide and 6" high ... Thank You...

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Great find! I love this type of drawstring hobo bag!

It was almost certainly made by a home crafter, crocheted of a rayon cord with the Dritz corporation's proprietary name Belastraw (the gold contains metallic threads). The era would be 1950s, possibly late 40s. You can see a number of different patterns for similar bags floating around on the internet, such as the reproduced patterns shown by an eBay seller here: https://www.ebay.com/c/1348638671

They have various styles, but with that characteristic round shape with a base and drawstrings. The neat metal tips I believe had to be available for purchase. You can also find similar bags with plastic bases that must have also been available to crafters.

GemGem, Vintagiality and Vinclothes like this.
  3. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Wow ! Maggie Thank you so much ! Your depth of knowledge is amazing .. Its been puzzling me for a while - and now no longer .. all bests Steve

Vintagiality and denisebrain like this.
  4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Glad I could help!

GemGem likes this.