1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with kind and dating 1910s dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cloudsofviolet, Aug 11, 2020.

1. cloudsofviolet

cloudsofviolet Registered Guest

Hi all,

It's very light silk and possibly silk lace (not tested). Bodice has a cotton or linen lining
    I looked up some stuff and it seems this may be an afternoon or after breakfast day dress from the 1910s? Would love your thoughts on type of dress and narrowing down date. Just interested!

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Oh, how sweet and lovely is that dress! And it appears to be in good shape?

It looks about 1910 to 12-ish to me.

cmpollack and Vintagiality like this.
  3. cloudsofviolet

Thanks yeah, the outer skirt layer is absolutely shattered but everything else is good. Is it relatively easy to find similar silk for a replacement? I'd just be concerned that modern silk would look different. Tassels are present!

4. denisebrain

Ah. I didn't see the shattering, but that is so often the case with silk of this age. I can't see the type of silk, but it looks very light, almost sheer. Is it in trouble all over the dress, or just in one area? It is conceivable to replace a section of the dress, but if it has that shattering, it is likely to be ready to break all over.

5. cloudsofviolet

I did not know that! It is just that one section that has shattering. What should I do to lessen the chance of all over shattering?

6. denisebrain

I'm not sure you can. If it is just to be carefully displayed, it might be possible to stabilize the damaged area with a light fabric backing, however this is usually something that indicates the fabric is going to break all over.

I once had a dress of the same era, in a heavier weight silk satin. It traveled from New York to my house in Washington State. It looked great when it arrived, but after a day the fabric started to fall apart. I believe the change in temperature and humidity tipped what was actually fragile fabric over the edge. Heartbreaking stuff!

7. I agree with Maggie, once the shattering starts, there is no way to save the piece. I have had stunning 1912 -1917 pieces that with handling, just disintegrated.
    It always breaks my heart

8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

9. gatco

gatco VFG Member

Just beautiful, back when I used to get my fair share of these we called them Lawn Dresses....not sure if that term is still popular

cmpollack likes this.