1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with label and dating of beautiful purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by RakShniya Vintage, Apr 14, 2021.

1. RakShniya Vintage

RakShniya Vintage Registered Guest

Hi there,

I would love some help with dating this beautiful embroidered purse. I can not find information about the label on the box. Am i reading it correctly? "Susia"? Any help would be appreciated.

1467-1001.jpg 1467-1002.jpg 1467-1004.jpg 1467-1007.jpg

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

This is a lovely bag indeed! I read that as Susia as well, but couldn't find anything about it. May I ask how big the bag is?

3. RakShniya Vintage

Thanks so much for your reply Midge! The bag is 6.5in in length and 6.2in at it widest area.

4. Midge

5. RakShniya Vintage

Thank you! 40s was my guess. I wish there was a bit of info about this company...

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Pretty much nothing as far as fashion was coming out of Germany in the 1940s. After WWII, some items would say "Made in Western Germany" or "Occupied" or similar.

Is the lining silk? The smaller size and style seems right for the 1930s, but it sort of looks 1950s to me too.

RakShniya Vintage likes this.
  7. RakShniya Vintage

Good point! I would imagine that it would have said west or east Germany if it were 50s too wouldn't it?

I'm not sure the lining is silk, it *might* be nylon. There's also a little mirror inclosed - i've added a photo 1467-1006.jpg

8. Midge

Yes, West Germany starts cropping up, I think from some time in the 50s onwards. In terms of the east, it would have said DDR or Deutsche Demokratische Republik, but not East Germany :). And they would have exported to other communist countries.

9. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I think this is 50s

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I believe that some late 1940s and even early '50s items from Germany were labelled with existing labels - and just say Germany. I have some costume jewelry marked Germany that is post-WWII.

11. RakShniya Vintage

Oh that's very inetersting! thank you!