1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with metallic unusual blouse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by blubirdboutique, Oct 26, 2018.

1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Hello all!
    I have this incredible blouse, but am unable to find many comparisons in style to help with dating. It seems to be a metallic lame maybe mixed with silk. The material is soft and somewhat heavy. The interesting tubular fabric rows remind me of a dress by Paul Poiret called "Irudree". The buttons are velvet and it has a closure at the back of the neck and snaps down the sides. I'll include a photo of that dress too. I am leaning toward the 20's. Any thoughts? Thank you!

f59ae04c64de71819a9338d01fcbccad.jpg gold1.jpg gold2.jpg gold3.jpg gold4.jpg gold5.jpg gold6.jpg goldmain.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Gorgeous!!!! :wub::wub::wub:

I am seeing 1930s, it looks like a silk lamé.

blubirdboutique likes this.
  3. blubirdboutique

Thank you! It is quite lovely! Is there any tricks to washing this fabric? It has a dark area to the fabric I can't seem to get out with soaking.

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

5. poppysvintageclothing

It is the gold metallic thread that most likely has oxidized. Perhaps someone here may have a tip. Usually you can't get rid of that kind of spot.
    You have actually soaked this and it held up?

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

7. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I, too, see 1930's. Wonderful timeless piece.
    Marian

8. Agree: '30s. I wouldn't be brave enough to wash or soak: too easy to damage the delicate fabric. Agree with MJ about silk lame'.

The velvet buttons are probably replacements for the original ones. They were probably self-covered and this fabric would get damaged with use, so they may have frayed.

Really sensational blouse. Would look amazing with flowing trousers.

9. blubirdboutique

Thank you! I wanted to include this serial tag I found inside. I’m wondering if it could be a certain designer?
    yes, I did soak it... it actually seems pretty sturdy except for a weakened section near the underarm that has thinned.

10. blubirdboutique

Oops the file is too large, I’ll upload when I get home.

11. blubirdboutique

Here's a photo of the stamp inside and also a photo of a Schiaparelli dress with similar "rolls". Could it possibly be a designer without a tag? Thanks!!

fr_4192_size880.jpg stamp1.jpg

12. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

The cloth tag fastened on each end with a metal clip is an older style dry cleaning
    tag. You can see it has rusted/discolored a bit, so it is important to take them out when you find them.
    Marian

13. blubirdboutique

Oh, interesting! Weird how they would put it in a random area like that! Thanks!

14. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a wonderful garment you have. That old lame' is a such a fabulous textile, in any condition.

I agree with 1930s, I see early 30s. It has that early 30s futuristic Deco influence, reminds me of a gown Dale Arden would have worn if she ever got out of her spaceship and had some real fun. Or a gown from the film "Things to Come".

You were brave to soak this, and congrats on some success with that. I never dared to soak any of my antique lame things. I find it interesting to see it survived nicely!

15. poppysvintageclothing

I could see this piece could well have been made by a designer, it would take quite a lot of research to get that information and get the correct provenance.

The sleeves and those rolled effects are pretty wonderful. I agree with Nicole there is a good chance the buttons were replaced, although without seeing the actual gown that would have been worn under this dress, one wonders, could it possibly have been a red velvet bias cut with lamé details...just my imagination running wild here. Really LOVE this piece!

16. blubirdboutique

Ohhh my I LOVE your imagination! I didn't even go there - how lovely it would be worn over a red velvet bias cut! Yes, I think it really would take some big researching. I had an offer to buy it, so perhaps I'll just let it go and they can have fun wearing it. I wish I could find a way to remove some of the oxidation spots.

17. blubirdboutique

I probably wouldn't have soaked it had I known it was silk lame. I didn't really think about it too much honestly! Oops. I was just hoping to remove some of the oxidation but it didn't work.

18. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Just a suggestion. You might want to do a little more research on this before selling it. Where is that tag located? Is that a museum inventory tag? It could have a clue as to its origin. Maybe?

19. blubirdboutique

The post above said it was an old dry cleaning tag? Would you disagree? I haven't see a tag like this before so I have no idea honestly. Thanks!

20. Marian's right: it's an old dry cleaning tag.

There are lots of books available on '30s designers, With a bit (a lot) of luck, you might find a designer but more often than not, it's a needle in a haystack. There are any number of people who could have designed and/or made it, and even if you find the exact design, it could have been copied by someone.

It's a beautiful piece in itself, regardless of who created it.