1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with origins and dating of folk dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by carla rey, Feb 25, 2020.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Hi all!

I have this great cotton dress that is confusing me with the combination of textiles and fastenings. The overall silhouette feels late 30s early 40s- it has a side 'Riri' zipper ( started in 1936 in Switzerland ). the cotton prints have a much older look and feel, and the figural metal head buttons has a Alpine Tyrolean hat.

So am I right in calling this Swiss? Tyrolean? Folk? Is this European WW2 era made of older fabrics and notions?

Thank you in advance.

LabelsandDetails2-2254_RT.jpg LabelsandDetails2-2255_RT.jpg LabelsandDetails2-2256_RT.jpg DressCottonFolkMEtalButtons-1283_RT.jpg DressCottonFolkMEtalButtons-1284_RT.jpg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks like a Tyrollean style trachtenkliede to me, probably Austrian, but postwar - the flared jacket peplum is very postwar style. Prewar trachtenkliede has very tight waist lines with vests and slim fitting jackets.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

My guess would be Austrian as well - not a dirndl technically, but in the "trachten" style. Can you show a better close-up of what's on the buttons? I think it looks like the figure is wearing a Tyrolean hat, but I'm not 100% sure.

carla rey likes this.
  4. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Yep Karin the hat is Tyrolean:
    2020-02-25 16.39.20.jpg

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member