1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Pink Vintage Dress “Styled by Adrian, Toronto”

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by PaulainSanDiego, Sep 8, 2020.

1. PaulainSanDiego

PaulainSanDiego Registered Guest

Label: Styled by Adrian| First Name in Dresses | Toronto

Approximate Measurements:
    • 15” Shoulder seam to seam
    • 5.5” Sleeve
    • 20” Full Width of Bust (pit to pit)
    • 15” Waist Measurement
    • 29” Fullest part of hips
    • 60” fullest width of hem (very full skirt)
    • 42.5” Shoulder to hem
    I wear a modern size 8 and can easily fit into this vintage pink dress, it am not sure of the original sizing

Aside from the brand name label, there are no other indications of the size, fabric material, or washing instructions

I am completely unprepared to describe the fabric and style of this dress, so bear with me whilst I muddle through and use the wrong terms:

• The fabric is shiny and silky, but also stiff
    • The delicate floral appliqué looks like a “light” embroidery, with an almost Asian feel (Japanese or Chinese?)
    • The center part of the upper bodice (below the squared neckline) is neatly folded like an accordion
    • Below the bodice, just above the natural waistline, is a fixed bow with a silver metal ring in the center
    • The dress is NOT lined
    • I am guessing this dress is approximately 60 years old (1960’s) but really have no clue or reference point
    • I purchased this dress 15 years ago from a vintage dress shop in Phoenix for a retro “late-50’s/early-60’s” Vegas style Rat Pack party.
    I have no clue to the origins of this dress, and will be very happy if anyone can help identify its history (era, fabric, size, style).

With sincere thanks, Paula in San Diego

269FD49C-6F81-4DD3-999C-7D7E9EEDCC17.jpeg 26C61B39-E81C-4991-961C-6A82AA977FD0.jpeg 60F821DB-2441-432B-89CC-565AFAEDF63C.jpeg DA34DB94-AF75-4417-9647-02A6D875BBC7.jpeg 25F47770-D5B8-4FCB-AA3B-EB824F32D108.jpeg

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

What a charming dress!
    It would be nice to see the full dress for sweep and length, but I'm feeling a late 1950s-early '60s transitional style. I'd call the fabric jacquard.
    This Canadian Adrian label is unfamiliar to me.

PaulainSanDiego likes this.
  3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I agree with early 60s.

This label has come up in the past. Here is the thread https://forums.vintagefashionguild....adrian-toronto-label-dress-dating-help.44790/

According to @Jonathan who is the curatorial director of the Fashion History Museum in Ontario:
    "Adrian of Toronto specialized in making dressy low end clothes. All their fashions were watered down copies of copies of copies of high end styles and a several seasons behind the leading fashions. ..Their clothes were aimed at the secretary and suburban housewife."

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I see '50s - mid to early/late '50s. According to Lauren who had the dress with this label it dates from 1956 - 1968. I think it's about 1956 with the princess lines and the jeweled bow.

Jonathan and PaulainSanDiego like this.
  5. PaulainSanDiego

whoops, I forgot yo upload the full length photo, here it is:
    AND THANKS to you ALL for the feedback!! I really appreciate it. 14FD12C9-4A1F-4B2F-8AA5-9C5FD88F06DB.jpeg

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  6. PaulainSanDiego

Thanks for that link, I tried to search through the label board and other message boards without spotting anything related to Adrian of Toronto. Paula

7. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Other useful info for dating a garment is the placement and type of closure, and how the seams and hem are finished.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Looks middly 50s to me too - 1956ish. WARNING - Adrian of Toronto was the 'fast fashion' of its day. The dresses used fabrics that weren't pre-shrunk and did not clean well. The hems would typically become uneven if sent to a dry cleaner. The dresses I see with this label are most often one-time event dresses - bridesmaids, grad gowns, Christmas office party type dressses....

Vintagiality and PaulainSanDiego like this.
  9. PaulainSanDiego

“The dresses I see with this label are most often one-time event dresses - bridesmaids, grad gowns, Christmas office party type dressses....”

EXACTLY! I bought this dress and my friend from work bought a vintage blue dress together from a shop in Phoenix to wear for an office Rat Pack themed Christmas party at a retro hotel 12 or so years ago. We only wore them once and now want to find another home for them. I’ll research and post photos of the other dress soon. It’s too bad the vintage shops don’t offer a two day rentals of these fun dresses, it seems like a potentially profitable idea (eg rent a dress for say $25 a dozen times rather than selling it once for $100j.

I do appreciate all your help identifying the correct era of this pink dress. Thank you so much!