1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Possible Bakelite Necklace???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Martha LL M, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Martha LL M

Martha LL M Registered Guest

Hello! Just wondering if anyone can help. I bought this beautiful necklace a while back now and believe it could be bakelite. It's an impressive piece, it measures 36 inches and weighs 260g. It is a beautiful red, very like cherry amber bakelite, but it also has a unique black crackle effect that I've not seen before and I was just wondering has anyone seen anything with a similar crackle effect in bakelite before? It also has a slight smell when heated under water. The beads have no seam and I'm sure they are not just regular plastic. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you, Martha

bakelite necklace for forum.jpg

bakelite forum 2.jpg Bakelite 3.jpg

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Very nice color and veining. I have similar barrel shape type beaded jewelry from the 90s/2000s and they remind me a little of prayer beads -- however, I don't believe that this is bakelite and the necklace appears to be on the contemporary side.