1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with terrible odor removal

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by StelmaDesigns, Feb 10, 2009.

1. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

I would so appreciate help in removing underarm odor from a vintage 40's 50's wool crepe dress. I really cannot believe I forgot to do my usual sniff test but it was such a find I guess I spaced! I had it dry cleaned to no avail and I now am spraying an enzyme solution that always seems to work well, again, to no avail! Is this going to be a toss it out situation or does someone have a method that works? I seem to recall vodka being helpful, but I don't want to do anything more yet. bummer! It stinks up the entire laundry area when damp!

Thanks! Julia

2. gatco

gatco VFG Member

Julia,

When I read your question my first thought was Vodka and then I saw you mentioned it. It is the only thing I know of that works when all the standard methods don't. Go gently with it at first just trying to dab it, usually when it gets to this point you don't have much to loose.

Good luck with it.

3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I've just read in my "How to Clean Everything" book that soaking in warm water & salt is recommended for washable fabrics. But this wouldn't be soakable, but maybe you could try throwing some salt in with the vodka, then dabbing that mixture on.

If it does't work, you can make yourself a vodka margarita!

4. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

There are also products on the market that remove pet odors and they work pretty well on underarm odor too. As usual always test an inconspicuous are before treating. I'll have to try the vodka trick someday, I wonder if it is the alcohol that is the active ingredient.

Melody

5. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Maybe you should take it back to the dry cleaners. If you tell them that the odor didn't come out the first time, they may try again at no charge.

6. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I give the vodka a try and if it doesn't work, maybe take it back to the dry cleaner. The enzyme spray I am using is similar to the pet odor removers and I have had great success with it but not here!

Thanks again!
    Julia

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I can't get older sweat odors out. I've tried dry cleaning, washing, enzyme sprays, UV treatments through the dry cleaners--which works well on most everything else. I must say though, I haven't tried pet odor removal products or vodka, so it's back to trying something new. Last summer I put something like 20 of the most awesome teens through 40s items into a garage sale because I just couldn't budge the odors.

Good luck! Let us know if anything works for you!

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes, please do let us know if the last resorts work for you. I have a few of these myself that I got caught on...they're great dresses, even have matching hats but the odor, YIKES!!!! I too have tried a few of these tricks and nothing has worked yet for me, the vodka I haven't.

9. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Hi Julia,

If you do take it back to the dry cleaner, suggest that they "ozone" it. (Although they may call this something else, they'll probably know what you mean if you say it.) I have had luck in the past with my cleaners getting out underarm and smoke smell with this method--often used to "restore" clothing that has been in a fire, flood, etc.

But, if the stench has been in the fibers of the dress for a long time (as in this case) there is always the possibility that removing the odor will also dissolve the fibers--in other words, the "dirt" has chemically altered the fibers in that area.

If the vodka works, then hooray! Good luck!

10. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

OK, I'm still soaking the area with enzymes, but after a week of doing this I am going to try vodka. I'll report back. I have used "Earth Friendly Everyday Stain & Odor remover" from whole foods with great success on some lingerie that was just smelly as all get out. I soaked it in this stuff for a few days, laundered and voila! Odors completely gone, but that was 1960's nylon tricot. I'm not so sure about wool. I think it tends to hold odors as it is. As for pet enzymes such as Natures Miracle, I had used this product first and it never did a thing.

Well, Wouldn't it be funny to cut out the diamond shaped parts under that arms and sew in new? Just kidding, but that thought occurred to me since I sew, but then again I think I would have to make a larger diamond, lol...

Thanks again!
    Julia

11. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Oh, I meant ozone, not UV...some cleaners do this. I have had perfect success with smoke and other odors, but not older sweat.

I want to try your Earth Friendly on some things now!

12. I've had success with ammonia. I keep a spray bottle of diluted ammonia and sprayed the underarms of a 40's wool jacket (inside and out) with it and let it sit. By the next day it was fine - I'm hyper sensitive to smells but ammonia doesn't bother me - BO on the other hand :o

13. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

OK everyone, here is an update. I have the dress hanging in it's dry cleaning plastic bag. I keep soaking the underarms with the enzyme spray and letting it sort of dry a bit over the day then sniff testing and reapplying. So far the left underarm smell is nearly gone. I have the nose of a bloodhound, so much so that my family teases me all the time so if it gets to where an iron doesn't bring up any odor, I'm good!

I'll post back when I have a final verdict on it. Thanks again!

Julia

14. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

A bit late to the discussion, but I wonder if making some sachets out of aquarium charcoal and old pantyhose wouldn't help. You could try putting them in the offending area of the dress as it sat folded on a shelf or in a box or something, or maybe hanging them from the hanger, placing them strategically in the pit zone as it hung.
    That might help make sure that if anything popped back up, say on a humid day, that it sucks into the charcoal.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

15. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Hello,

Here is the update! First, I don't know if charcoal would have worked in my case because the fibers were obviously saturated with BO.

I can hardly believe this worked but by golly, it did!! The only thing is, because it was so soaked with the enzyme liquid, when dry there was sort of like a white water/salt ring around the edge so that I did rinse it out over the sink with a mild soap and water mixture but the smell is absolutely gone in one side and the other just has a sort of mild "old" smell, not like BO and not objectionable at all. I really can't even believe this worked as the smell was "90 barrels of get-back" no kidding.

So this would only work on fabrics that can handle being soaking wet. That right there probably eliminates many from the safe list but it could also be done over a longer period of time with less of the spray so that it is just done a little at a time perhaps . This dress was going to be tossed anyway if not for this enzyme working. Also, I used almost half a spray bottle of this stuff adding about 4 dollars more to the cost on top of the 9 dollar dry cleaning.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Julia

Hope this helps some of you down the road.

16. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

90 barrels of get-back :lol:

i was eagerly awaiting your update, julia. woo hoo, success! would you mind telling us what the name of the enzyme spray you used is?

i was a bit worried enzymes would do bad things to wool (like eat it), since wool is a protein. but good to know it didn't, *and* it removed the 90 barrels of get-back :cheer:

17. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

I'll have to remember that...the treatment and the saying.:D

18. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

The key with most enzymes, as I understand them, is keeping them MOIST. They die when they dry - so keeping them moist is the key to keeping them actively eating odor.

Just FYI :)

Glad the odor came out! Wooot!

19. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Hi, yes, you are right; the key is in keeping the fabric moist as long as you can because that is what keeps the enzymes alive and working. The stuff I used I bought at Whole Foods and it is called "Earth Friendly Products, Everyday Stain & Odor Remover." It is in the laundry section and it's a clear spray bottle with a circle with an orange on it. It says it removes organic stains and odors. I just notice there is a 100% guarantee on it. I really can't remember what ˆpaid for it. I am guessing in the neighborhood of 7 dollars? I imagine you could buy it online too.

Hope this works for you all too. If you have other questions just holler!

Julia